Go to rotation for a full flip

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

11 November 2014
Go to rotation for a full flip

Hi there.

I have a plane and converted its faces to particles. A collider is moving over the particles and triggers the next event, which is supposed to rotate the particles by 360 degrees. Now if i use the go to rotation test and specify the rotation to 360 degrees in let's say X, the particles don't rotate at all. I guess it's because 360 = 0 for rotations. I also tried to have 2 go to rotation test in 2 different events, on to 180 and the next one to 360. But then the particles get flipped to 180 and back to 0 degrees. Is there a way to make the "full flip"

regards, Heilandzack

11 November 2014
Easiest way is to to Point Cache the source object and trigger the animated shape with the deflector/collision.

Else you can to use a Spin Op with a rate of 360 and set a Go To Rotation below it, "Transition By:" Event Duration -> 46 frames and use "Target Rotation:" -> Changing, Turn off Match Initial Spin, and Stop Spinning at end.

Realistically the Spin Rate 360 should do one full rotation per second. I am not sure why the Go To Rotation increases that 16 frames when using 30fps.

Or create a Data op to do it all and forgo either method.

11 November 2014
Thanks alot. I got it working with a data Test.

Can you tell me if this is an efficient way to do it?
Also i would like to add some variation. The way i have set it up now, every frame in the event turns the particle by a specific amount and when the limit is reached the particle gets pushed to the next event. Now if i add a variation to the limit, it gets evaluated for every particle every frame, which makes them jitter around, the higher the multiplier gets. I know that i would have to add an new in event test, but i can't get it to work...

11 November 2014
Anytime you use random subop or use variation they will constantly generate new values.

solve this with an output new that has a new in event attached.

Then you can use the input custom sub op to pipe into your flow.

11 November 2014
Thank you Nickolay!

Gonna try that on monday back in the office

11 November 2014
no problem hope that works out for you.

11 November 2014
Hey Heilandzak, if you still have any doubt, have a look on this video, it looks very similar to what you looking for and you can download the file on it's description.

https://vimeo.com/107341344

Particle-Skull.com

reply share thread