Old 07-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #496
dann_stubbs
insert witty tag here

Dann Stubbs
Systems Admin - ex 3D guy
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination
I agree that a manually made and maintained top 20 list of issues to be aware of might not be a bad idea, but access to the bug database would be of very little use to most people. Between the reports made on alpha and beta versions, those with confidential info on live 3d studio jobs, the reports which mention unreleased features, and the mountain of acronyms used; hardly anything would be left to publicly show.

my thoughts were not to export the whole info record as i understand there would be a lot of non-realavant stuff from a bug base...

just basically a couple fields from it, like C4D version, and bug description would pretty much be all that would be needed

nothing nearly as complex as srek was making it out to be - nothing NDA, no scene files or screen shots etc, so nothing that would need NDA approval from anybody - just at least a list of a bugs so others could compare their issue to this list.

dann
-

Old 07-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #497
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates

@deepshade and mash

Now we're talking.

Looking back through my emails to/from Maxon tech support, I have several reported bugs since 2012, some of which have gotten fixed, some not. Those persistent bugs I try and remember to avoid the next time I go down that work path. (maybe I need to keep my own database )

I usually can get confirmation here on the forum if theres a bug still floating around, but a top 10 with possible workaround would be useful.

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance

Old 07-10-2014, 02:51 PM   #498
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dann_stubbs
just basically a couple fields from it, like C4D version, and bug description would pretty much be all that would be needed

But thats what Im getting at, 2 fields or all of them, they would still need to be manually combed through and edited. Otherwise when Im using the full public release of 15 and something goes wrong, I enter the bug info:

Subject: old metaballs buggy

body: "I know the new metaballs in r16 fix this, but I still think the old one should be fixed too. when you load the attached scene, it displays an error like this missing.jpg"

---

Given the thousands upon thousands of entries, it would be a complete minefield to release any of them.

And for everyone else, no, im not saying theres new metaballs in r16 :P

Old 07-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #499
dann_stubbs
insert witty tag here

Dann Stubbs
Systems Admin - ex 3D guy
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination
But thats what Im getting at, 2 fields or all of them, they would still need to be manually combed through and edited. Otherwise when Im using the full public release of 15 and something goes wrong, I enter the bug info:

Subject: old metaballs buggy

body: "I know the new metaballs in r16 fix this, but I still think the old one should be fixed too. when you load the attached scene, it displays an error like this missing.jpg"

---

Given the thousands upon thousands of entries, it would be a complete minefield to release any of them.

so nobody at all takes all the bug base entries from users/tech support and compiles them into a usable list of information?

so how does maxon then know what bugs exist if the bug base is so unusable?
how do they know the important ones causing major workflow havoc?
or the ones getting the most user reports/issues out in the real world that should get priority?

how do they then determine the top list of bugs to fix?

maybe i'm just more organized them most, but it's not building my confidence that maxon can't even produce a list of the major bugs of any specific version without making it seem like a huge ordeal.
-

reply share thread