Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
CMH09
portfolio
Christian
Yukon, USA

WIP "Dawn"

Hello, this is my first project that I've posted on these forums. I still have much more work to do, but I would like opinions, insights and suggestions on the work I have done so far. I look forward to your replies!

The original picture is large, this is a very compressed version so I lost quite a bit of detail. I don't really know how to scale it down without losing detail or how to attach large images to posts, but if someone could tell me how I will.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
maxtelfer
portfolio
Max Telfer
New Zealand

Looks quite interesting so far - the obvious comparisons would be to the likes of Dali, and some of the metaphysical paintings of Giorgio De Chirico, hah.

I'd say that the main thing that I would explore from here is your colour pallete - as while it certainly feels surreal with such a wide, highly saturated range of colours, a far more focused and restrained one may serve to give a little more mood and ambiance to your work. (Curve adjustment layers can also assist with hue cohesion.) Also, the composition itself is quite complex already, and I get the impression you plan for the sky to become quite detailed - just make sure that the focal points of your work are not lost! Perhaps considering some depth of field/soft focus could be quite interesting?

Oh, and the surrealists were always playing around with cast shadows that didn't quite make sense - could be quite fun to play with that idea regarding your floating objects.

Keen to see how this turns out!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
CMH09
portfolio
Christian
Yukon, USA

Thanks for the reply. Would you mind going into a little more detail regarding the adjustment layers?

I actually planned for the object in the sky to look like it was a very distant object, like a distant planet seen from this planet's surface. I just haven't figured out how to push it back while maintaining the look of a three dimensional distant object rather than just a very faded cloud.

Last edited by CMH09 : 09-14-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:42 AM   #4
maxtelfer
portfolio
Max Telfer
New Zealand

Within Photoshop, simply go to Layer > Adjustment Layer > Curves. From there a separate layer will appear on your layers pallete, and effect any layers that are underneath it - by adjusting your curves subtly it influences everything, and is a good way to add a certain amount of cohesion to the colour pallete of your composition. It is important to remember however, that it is always best to just get the colours right in the first place

As far as a distant planet in the background goes - it's really just all about using the full rage of tones (darks, mids, lights) accurately to define form...at present it's that level of flatness that makes it appear more cloud-like than anything!

Old 09-19-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
CMH09
portfolio
Christian
Yukon, USA

Here is an updated version

And a link to the larger version

http://features.cgsociety.org/newga...19963_large.jpg

My biggest problem right now is trying to figure out how to make the ground look more realistic. Something doesn't quite seem right but I can't put my finger on what it is.

Last edited by CMH09 : 09-19-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
jtraylor
Veteran
portfolio
Justin Traylor
Denver, United States

Quote:
My biggest problem right now is trying to figure out how to make the ground look more realistic. Something doesn't quite seem right but I can't put my finger on what it is.

One thing that might help with the ground is adding some more color variation and texture. Textures such as cracks, rocks, a few weeds, etc. If you look closely at the ground there are many different colors that make it up.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
CMH09
portfolio
Christian
Yukon, USA

I'm really struggling with the mountains right now. When I look at reference photos with the sun in the same position it's in now mountains look black. albeit the mountains in the reference photos I find are alot further back. When looking at other digital paintings the mountains are lighter colored. Either way I've tried in this picture they look off and I've hit a brick wall.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:31 AM   #8
CMH09
portfolio
Christian
Yukon, USA

Update

Old 10-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
CMH09
portfolio
Christian
Yukon, USA

Another update. I think I'm going in the right direction with the backround, but I still can't figure out the angle of the legs. Thinking about just putting the character in a standing position.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread