setting up OpenPipeline on a file storage service

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2013
setting up OpenPipeline on a file storage service

Hi there!

We just started a project and decided to do it right since the beginning by creating a pipeline to keep things organized and clean for everyone. After a week of research I came to the conclusion that OpenPipeline might be the right choice despite not being updated for over 3 years. The structure it creates is not perfect but will definitely help on keeping things consistent throughout the entire project. Most of the people involved are working from home so the idea is to share a folder over Google Drive and have the same hierarchy on every computer. The problem is some people have only a C drive, others have several HDDs or partitions, Macs, etc. you get the picture. OpenPipeline needs a single directory to work properly which is totally understandable. The question is this. Is there a way to create a folder on everyone's computer that has the same directory structure (same address) so OpenPipeline works and synchronizes correctly over Google Drive?

What is your experience with OpenPipeline? Do you guys use any extra addon that can share? I've seen opRenderManager and looks interesting but can't find a way to get my hands on it. I wonder if he ever released it or kept it to himself.

I'm open to suggestions to other DAM program available as well if the price is reasonable. Unfortunately Shotgun, Alienbrain, etc. are out of our budget.

Thanks in advance!

12 December 2013
Not really sure how you would get even a maya vanilla project to work properly if different users have different file paths.

Im using openpipeline at work and at home, im not sure if u have that possibility but i connect to my work network using vpn, then i have the network storage attached both at my work computer and my home computer as a network drive. works perfect, im just launching openpipeline at home and it gets the projectlist from the server at work where all the projects are located. then open and save as u want.

We are also using deadline render manager but havent succeeded in getting the submission to work from home thou the monitor works and i can just save my file and then submit it from the monitor instead.

12 December 2013
every one should jus point there Open pipe xml (unc path) to the drive on there local comp if they have Google drive installed locally. but i dont like doing that as when saving ive seen some issues, but try it see how it fairs

12 December 2013
Thanks to both for the suggestions.

Originally Posted by thehive: every one should jus point there Open pipe xml (unc path) to the drive on there local comp if they have Google drive installed locally. but i dont like doing that as when saving ive seen some issues, but try it see how it fairs

If everyone has their own xml how would the project get updated to the rest? I think I'm missing something...

Originally Posted by Schempp: Not really sure how you would get even a maya vanilla project to work properly if different users have different file paths.

That's precisely our problem when trying to use something like Google Drive, Dropbox, Sugar Sync, etc.

Never tried VPN. It looks like it needs a computer that should be set up as some kind of server where the OpenPipeline project would be saved and everyone would read and write to that same server. It looks like it could work. Is it difficult to set up a VPN? Does it have some kind of risky, negative side to it while doing these kind of 3D projects?

01 January 2014
At the end, the easiest, most obvious approach was the right decision. I've done a few tests and thehive was right. My mistake was to save the .xml files inside the hierarchy of the project within the Goggle Drive folder. The trick is to create the .xml files (2 if you setup different authors) anywhere you want and then have every person on the team edit their "openPipeline_projects.xml" and change the patch to their own address (wherever the project inside the Google Drive folder is located).

I'm still wondering what kind of issues thehive experience...

01 January 2014
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread