Mental Ray error on render farm

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
Mental Ray error on render farm

I'm getting this weird MR error when I try to submit a render to the farm (Royal Render):

Error: line 1: (Mayatomr.Attr) : failed to add boolean attribute to shadingEngine

The funny thing is, that I'm actually using Vray.

The scene renders fine inside of Maya.

I tried rebuilding the scene from scratch with the same results. I'm guessing it's one of the shadingGroups.

The scene was a fully shaded MR scene, which I converted to Vray. I have submitted previous renders in Vray with no problems, so I'm puzzled as to why it suddenly appeared.

10 October 2013
I usually have to open the .ma file in text editor to remove all MR nodes by hand (or by REGEX). Not sure how'd you do it in Maya.

It's even worse if for some reason the fur node was also created and connected to both MR and your mesh even if you haven't used it. Deleting fur/MR node in this case can sometimes crash the scene right when opening.

When I do these days is, right when I open Maya, I'd uncheck fur and MR Auto Load, close Maya and re-open before I start working... Just loading MR will create 10s of pages of useless nodes in the .ma file even without doing anything.

Last edited by Panupat : 10 October 2013 at 02:30 PM.

11 November 2013
Found the solution:

It turned out the referenced camera had some MR node attached.
The reason for the crash was the batch render got stuck in a loop, because it was looking for that node but couldn't find it (because MR wasn't loaded).

I just created a MIA_X dummy material to force MR to load as a test and it ran fine.

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread