babby's first portrait. Need a purely proportional review

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
babby's first portrait. Need a purely proportional review

Kind of for practice in painting, but before I move on, I want to make sure the proportions are absolutely perfect. Feel free to nitpick at every detail (I actually prefer that.

Source image:

10 October 2012
Even if you get the line art as accurate as possible, once you start painting in the values/colors, you're going to be altering things anyway, and you'll need to be vigilant every step of the way. Don't forget that you never stop drawing even when you are painting, because while painting, you are still reshaping everything each time you lay down a brushstroke.

And learn to judge the overall impression, not just the micro-details in the context of the grids. For example, look at her right eye--the general shape of it isn't correct, despite you making a grid system. This is because you aren't paying enough attention to the overall impression of the eye--the overall shape.

10 October 2012
A major problem youíre going to have with this subject ref is it is a photo shot with a telephoto lens. Her blurred, foreshortened right arm is most likely not going to work in your painting. The small hand (due to the long lens flattened perspective) coupled with the over flexible elbow bend and hand twist is going to look grossly distorted in a painting. It is forgiven in the photo because we trust that photos donít lie.
The eyes in the drawing look skewed wrong, also. Her right eye is too low. This is another side effect of telephoto lens images--perspective compression.

Last edited by Quadart : 10 October 2012 at 01:57 PM.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Quadart: A major problem youíre going to have with this subject ref is it is a photo shot with a telephoto lens. Her blurred, foreshortened right arm is most likely not going to work in your painting. The small hand (due to the long lens flattened perspective) coupled with the over flexible elbow bend and hand twist is going to look grossly distorted in a painting. It is forgiven in the photo because we trust that photos donít lie.
The eyes in the drawing look skewed wrong, also. Her right eye is too low. This is another side effect of telephoto lens images--perspective compression.

Yeah I just got some random picture off of the internet that I thought was interesting and colorful, to be honest.

Originally Posted by Lunatique: And learn to judge the overall impression, not just the micro-details in the context of the grids. For example, look at her right eye--the general shape of it isn't correct, despite you making a grid system. This is because you aren't paying enough attention to the overall impression of the eye--the overall shape.

This seems insanely difficult to me. The expression is so subtle, it seems like for a beginner level artist it'd be impossible to properly capture without subdividing it and micromanaging.
Also, right eye as in looking at the page, or as in from the perspective of the picture itself?

Last edited by DarkAlexF : 10 October 2012 at 06:20 PM.

11 November 2012
It takes practice, just like learning an instrument or learning martial arts. The more you train your observation and analytical skills and your eye-to-hand coordination, the better you'll get at it, until it becomes second nature to you.

And it's her right eye. Whenever visual artists say "her" or "his" left or right, they always mean that person's perspective.

11 November 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread