creating rotating panels with mograph

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2012
creating rotating panels with mograph

I am working on a design and I am curious if I can figure out how to animate it with mograph. I want to create a circular design with rotating panels. Here is what I got so far. I have a circle spline with is in a cloner object along with some rectangles. I have the cloner settings to distribute the rectangles along the circle spline. They are spaced closely together, thing of a circular room made up of vertical mirrors.

Anyways I want them to rotate but not all at once. I have been experimenting with the step and also with the delay effector. I am trying to get them to rotate from 90 degrees to 0. So from the side (where they are hardly visible) to 0 so they are facing you. I was thinking of using the cylinder falloff method and animating the slice number, but I am not getting the desired effect. Does anyone have any suggestions as to things I can try? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

03 March 2012
Just thinking out loud, it may be a simple matter of setting a plain effector up to do the rotation, setting it to Linear Falloff, and then putting an animated align to spline tag on the effector and have it move along your circle spline....
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

03 March 2012
I tried that out, for some reason I couldn't get the effector with the linear setting to effect the rectangles when it followed along the spline. I got the cylinder falloff to work however it has an on/off effect. It either has the rectangle panel at 0 degrees or rotated at 90 degrees. I tried to use a delay effector to slow it down so the viewer can actually see some rotation but I haven't quite found the setting for that...

03 March 2012
Use Step Effector in the Cloner first of all and set the Transform Weight to 100%

Then add a Plain Effector set to rotate 90

Animate the Falloff > Weight parameter on the Plain Effector from -100 to +100%

That should do it.

cheers
Tim
Professional MoGraph & VFX Training

@helloluxx
facebook

03 March 2012
Smile

Check out my simple solution. I used the Plain Effector but with a Turus falloff and animated the Slice option from 0 to 360. Obviously I scaled the effector to make sure the red guidelines covered all the panels.

Then add a Delay Effector to add a nice Spring effect. Looks pretty good to me.

Enjoy.

FYI - File is r13.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Panels Flipping Along Circle.zip (112.9 KB, 37 views)

03 March 2012
Originally Posted by Alex4443D: Check out my simple solution. I used the Plain Effector but with a Turus falloff and animated the Slice option from 0 to 360. Obviously I scaled the effector to make sure the red guidelines covered all the panels.

Then add a Delay Effector to add a nice Spring effect. Looks pretty good to me.

Enjoy.

FYI - File is r13.

I love the Torus falloff, I had forgotten all about the slice parameter.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

03 March 2012
Here's a file for the solution I mentioned above. The nice thing here is you can simply reverse the Step Effector for the rotation order to reverse, or draw a funky spline in the Step Effector to 'randomise' the order of rotation (or use a Random Effector to randomise the weight rather than a step effector).

Cheers
Tim
Attached Files
File Type: zip RotateCircle.c4d.zip (62.0 KB, 36 views)
Professional MoGraph & VFX Training

@helloluxx
facebook

04 April 2012
Thanks for all of the help and project files for examples, it is greatly appreciated! It step/ plain effector seems to be doing a good job of what I am looking for. I'm getting more use to C4D but the whole effector thing still throws me for a loop. Once I get my project done maybe I'll throw a link up for it. Thanks again everyone for all the help!

04 April 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread