How to use Miss fast skin 2 in Maya 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2012   #1
How to use Miss fast skin 2 in Maya 2013

Hi. The miss skin surface phen is all white and the others phenomenon can't be connected whithout crashing.
Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Old 05 May 2012   #2
Here is some info about sss2:
http://forum.mentalimages.com/showt...n-sss2-by-doing

Old 05 May 2012   #3
Hi, I was hoping to use sss skin 2 with 3 layers of SSS.
The simple sss2 has 2 layers.

Old 05 May 2012   #4
The intention of the shader is that you don't need 3 layers anymore. It has been simplified significantly from the previous version. This means you will need to change your workflow.

This is important because this workflow will carry on to the next SSS shader that no longer uses lightmapping: http://twitter.com/mentalray/status/205017195690995712

This is also workflow that was created based on the needs of a few large VFX houses that requested these controls.

Are you attempting to generate realistic human skin or something more complex?

Old 05 May 2012   #5
I'm trying to make realistic skin for a character.
I just thought that misss_mia_skin2 shaders were substitute for the old miss_fast_skin (3 layers of sss).
And the misss_fast_shaders were equivalent to misss_fast_shader2 (2 layers of sss).

Old 05 May 2012   #6
I can understand that's confusing. The phenomenon included with Maya was possibly an accident.

You should be able to get away with the SSS2 and pipe it through the additional color of a mia_material. The sample scene with the teapot has this setup.

You will need to learn this new workflow but your results should be easier to achieve and look much better without a lot of tweaking. It will also become the standard controls for the future shader so it's a bit more future-proof.

Old 05 May 2012   #7
I see, thanks for the reply.

Old 05 May 2012   #8
i've been using the fast shader 2 and it is great. i did a render comparison between the older misss_fast_skin and the misss_fast_shader2. I had the same issue with the phen shader as well, it would just render white no matter what I did.

the fast shader 2 for me is easier to control and I'm liking it. It is lacking some controls though, I miss having the overall color slot for certain effects where I would want to knock back the sss effect by mappping different values to the overall color. I'm still trying to find a workaround for that. My shader setup now though is using the fast_shader2 plugged into the additional color of an MIA.

Old 07 July 2012   #9
The misss_fast_shader2 looks very nice.
but many slots are grayed out. are these useless?

Old 07 July 2012   #10
Did you upgrade to SP1? There's a UI bug that's causing that.

Old 07 July 2012   #11
sp1 sounds like a downgrade or broken mess from people's feedback with rotations and the MIA material

Old 10 October 2012   #12
doesnt show up in reflections

this shader is working great for me, i have it plugged into the additional color slot of a mia_material_x. My problem is the shader doesn't show up in reflections. Anyone else have this problem? I've tried everything I can think of to get it to show up, this makes they eyes feel like they are not integrated in the scene.

- Figured out this problem, I am using ptex, seems like maybe a bug, switched to a UV'd base mesh and standard textures and it works fine now

Last edited by foulball : 10 October 2012 at 03:12 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread