Ideas/concept vs render quality

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #16
I think you have made valid points Simon. I'm sure it will be taken into account.

However,
Originally Posted by Quadart: I think your last image failed precisely because the design couldnít carry it. A work needs at least one redeeming characteristic, whether itís superficial eye-candy appeal, a message, interesting design, or strong stylistic expression. You have some work in the gallery, some didnít make it. The problem here is you seem to think that all of your Ďdesignsí are exceptional, which is not the case.

I think you have your answer. I doesn't sound like your style is being eschewed, just that your last submission didn't reach the goal. Sucks I know, but that's life. Can't win 'em all.

Edit: BTW, I really dig your style. Pretty snazzy for Sketchup.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 10 October 2012   #17
Originally Posted by Tamagoo: Maybe it is my own perspective, but I enjoy seeing such black and white designs. There is something very appealing about it.
Agree very much with that. Personally i like Simonís style, how heís presenting his models. Itís a very cool and clean presentation, pushing the design into the foreground, making it to the central theme.

The more important is the design itself - the creativity.

@ simoncheng: Take the rejection as a chance. Youíre sticking at a design pattern of Star Wars and Transformers, which wonít knock peopleís socks off after having seen it for 30 years. So you need other arguments in your presentation than only the design.

Old 10 October 2012   #18
There is nothing wrong with discussing a point like this. I guess when you have your designer hat on you know that apart from the concept of universal beauty that not every design and presentation method works for every situation, right?

Good design starts by working backwards from the end. Look at what the ideal solution is and work back from there. In this case it is pretty easy as you have tons of examples of what the gallery wants and there has been much written over this already. Consider that your brief.

You have gotten a lot of good advice here.

Old 10 October 2012   #19
Originally Posted by simoncheng: In real life industry doesn't have time for you to those beautiful render coz time frame are such expensive unless fan-art/hobby works. Maybe some real life project require beautiful render but rare in numbers.

I'm not sure what the extent of your "real life industry" experience is, but in mine, which is more than 12 years in visual effects working on about 25 films and countless commercials in numerous studios around the world, the art departments I've worked with have always developed full, coloured concepts. The sketches you're talking about that are shown in art books are preliminary designs done internally which are then developed further by the art department to show to clients. Clients, even top Hollywood directors, mostly don't want to see sketches, they want to see developed concepts and that includes colour palettes. Often, however, these are flat shaded renders that are coloured in 2D.

The "beautiful renders" that you say are rare are in fact the finished products.

Old 10 October 2012   #20
Your works which I can see in portfolio are concept designs (good ones, though many may not be into them, if they didn't try making such themselves. I did s I can appreciate how hard it is). And here many pieces go into publishing, which requires more gloss and illustrative effect, which is quite different. It's just Cgtalk is not the best place for concept design without other stages like lighting etc. Nothing wrong with your works in my opinion, they are good.

Old 10 October 2012   #21
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread