Can photomanipulation be considered digital art?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2006   #1
Post Can photomanipulation be considered digital art?

Hi Everybody!

First I must say. Damn, there is some amazing artists in here!
A lot of inspiration and at the same time rather intimidating.
---
I have a couple of question I hope you can and will help me answering.
Its a bit hard for me to explain but here goes...

1. Can photomanipulation be considered digital art, as in the form below, or is it just a craftmanship?
2. Has digital art something to do with the way you make the "piece",
or is it the end result (the picture) alone which tells us if its art or not?

Background story:
I have a website called 2Dog3D.dk. Translated from Danish to English "2Dog3D" means "2D and 3D". I've got a couple of pictures in my mind, about how to illustrate the concept of 2 diminsions (2D) vs. 3 dimensions (3D). One of the ideas, was playing with the name like this: "2 dog 3D" as you can see here http://www.2dog3d.dk/2dog3D.jpg

And now to the point at last . I am not very good at drawing (as you see in illustration D), and because of that, I have made my idea by posing "the right way" (illustration B), taking a picture, and manipulating with the photo afterwards to put the pieces together.

And the final result is this:

Is this Digital Art?

Best regards

Kasper

Old 04 April 2006   #2
In my opinion you have created an image that did not exist before, so yeah it is

Old 04 April 2006   #3
Originally Posted by Womgoose: In my opinion you have created an image that did not exist before, so yeah it is

Hey Womgoose!
Thanks for replying, thought I was the only one in here, hehe.
Hmmmm, never thought of it that way. If its something new, its art
By the way, cool journey with the monkey theme...

/Kasper

Old 04 April 2006   #4
Cool This is art

I say ifl u realize your idea its art. It doesnt matter if you make hands from computer cities from future or planets.

Old 05 May 2006   #5
1. Can photomanipulation be considered digital art, as in the form below, or is it just a craftmanship?

First you must answer the question "What is Art and what is Craft?" But there is no answer to that question that will satisfy everyone. There isn't even an answer that will satisfy a majority. There are probably about as many different answers as there are artists and craftsmen in the world. So it's no use asking that question to anyone else, you must find your own answer.
2. Has digital art something to do with the way you make the "piece",
or is it the end result (the picture) alone which tells us if its art or not?

Again, what do you mean by Art? Please do a search and read the many previous threads here on what is and isn't art, and you'll soon see how useless it is to discuss it. I think there's one going at this very moment.

My own opinion though (which is useless because it's only an opinion) is that everything someone claims is art, is art, and from there each individual has to make their own judgement as to whether it's bad art or good art. (A common misunderstanding in this discussion is to equate the word Art with Good.)

"Digital" is more easily defined, obviously that designation applies when you use mostly digital tools in the process.

Old 05 May 2006   #6
Hi Stahlberg!

Thanks for the answer, and a good one ;o)

I know now that I probably asked the wrong question and it was difficult, at best, to answer.
I should maybe have been asking something like:

1. Do you consider photomanipulation to be digital art, as in this form, or is it just a craftmanship?

2. In your opinion, has digital art something to do with the way you make the "piece",
or is it the end result (the picture) alone, that tells you if its art or not?

If I search my soul (deep enough ), I think the reason for asking was something like:
Is i possible to make "good" digital art, without good drawing skills (my level of drawing)?

/Kasper

Old 05 May 2006   #7
If I search my soul (deep enough ), I think the reason for asking was something like:
Is i possible to make "good" digital art, without good drawing skills (my level of drawing)?

Some equate good drawing skills with general artistic talent... imo it's not necessarily exactly the same thing. Usually, but not always. Sometimes a person can be good at design, composition, sculpture or color without being particularly good at drawing... although the reason I find is usually because they've simply never practised drawing at all. (Maybe they hate it, or they think they will never improve, or they never tried, or a combination.) And in these cases I also usually find that practising drawing can help - as they practise and improve their drawing skills, he/she improves in the other artistic skills as well.

Old 05 May 2006   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread