Lagoa type results in Thinking Particles?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Lagoa type results in Thinking Particles?

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up a workflow for a large simulation dependent job and I'm trying to figure out the best route to take to achieve organic looking dirt simulations.

Somewhat like this Lagoa dirt :
http://vimeo.com/13457383#at=0

Our studio uses 3ds Max primarily so diving into Soft right now might not be the best idea.

My question would be - could similar Dirt simulations be achieved with Thinking Particles?

From my experience thinking particles doesn't like high resolution inter-particle collisions that much. (talking about pure particles, not geometry particles)

The Orbaz PFlow tools look capable but then again I want to be sure it can handle it before I spend time and money on the plugin only to find out it won't work. From what I've read it does inter-particle collisions and particle glue with PhysX pretty well. What's the learning curve compared to TP?

Old 11 November 2012   #2
I doubt you can do that inside max, not with thinking particles( but i don't have experience with it, so maybe i'm wrong), and not with Particle Flow ToolBoxes (in my experience too, which i have a bit more than with TP), i'm using softimage lagoa, and it's slow, well, with that level of detail everything will be slow :P, but i doubt you can achieve that inside 3ds max, maybe in softimage or using other solution like real flow, but i'm not sure.

Cheers.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Thanx for the input.

Seems I'll have to get hold of a freelancer who works with Soft, I had high hopes for PFlow Boxes but it seems that's not going to work. We have a guy who works in Naiad but I've only ever seen water sims come out of that. This Dirt sim needs those breakup chunks. . . Think naiad could do that kind of thing? I know it handles high viscosity liquids well but I'm not sure about the fracture effect.

Old 11 November 2012   #4
I'd do that in Naiad. You can setup high-viscosity chunks and rigid bodies amid lower viscosity sandlike stuff. Doing it in TP can definitely be possible - you'll end up with sims that take some time, but that would be the case anyway

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Thinking about it a bit more I think I'll do a rigid body sim of the rocks and then add in the "fluid" sand particles over that to fill in the gaps. Hopefully it'll give me the results I need.

We're building a man made out of dirt, assembles from the ground and animates. Not to be confused with sandman. Thinking particles together with naiad could well do this.

ah crap. . thought I had a way to do it but that's with the Box tools
http://www.orbaz.com/visualguide/pa...hysXSwitch.html (scroll down to the end to see what I'm after)

anyone know of an equivalent process for TP?

Old 11 November 2012   #6
Originally Posted by Tr1dae: ah crap. . thought I had a way to do it but that's with the Box tools
http://www.orbaz.com/visualguide/pa...hysXSwitch.html (scroll down to the end to see what I'm after)

anyone know of an equivalent process for TP?

Joints. Try different types of joints. Even fixed ones is not "fixed" if you're not using many sim. substeps.

Old 11 November 2012   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread