Sketchbook Thread of Fusioniz

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006
Sketchbook Thread of Fusioniz

argh i'm so stressed up with the interview for admission in this college of arts and i don't know what to do. i'm posting up my portfolio to be and hope that anyone who sees this might at least give me a minimum attention...i will really appreciate if you do... thank you.below is the rules/criteria:
Preparing your Portfolio

• Portfolio should be A2 or smaller (A4 minimum) and preferably with a zipped cover.
  • 10 pieces of work need to be presented.
  • Your work should include drawings, sketches, 2-D work (e.g. painting, printmaking, digital imaging) or 3-D work (e.g. sculpture, ceramics).
  • Originals of work are preferred, however photographs, slides and/or digital images & JPEG (cd-rom) are also acceptable (particularly for work larger than 60cm X 20cm in size).
  • Works & images should be accompanied with labels/captions indicating; Title of work, year of completion, medium/material and size/measurement of works.

What we are looking for

Applicants need to be selective in preparing the portfolio to ensure that it best represents their creative ability.

The assessment of the portfolio is based on the following considerations:

• potential for skill development
  • evidence of hand-eye skills
  • articulation of a sustained idea or concept.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0001.jpg (13.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Scan0002.jpg (5.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Scan0003.jpg (5.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Rebeccak : 03 March 2006 at 03:33 PM.

03 March 2006
here are some more... thank you...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0005.jpg (13.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Scan0006.jpg (6.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Scan0007.jpg (17.0 KB, 14 views)

03 March 2006
last ones for now....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0008.jpg (13.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Scan0009.jpg (8.8 KB, 11 views)

03 March 2006
Okay.. i'm going to have to be fairly to the point here, because I don't know the level of ability you're required to have to get into this course. Please understand I'm not saying this to be mean, i'm trying to help.

This portfolio really needs work. I don't want to be gentle with you here, because it's the answer your college is going to give you. You need to sit down and really focus on doing some long pieces, both creative and studied, and take some serious time and effort.

How long do you have before the interview?

03 March 2006
i don't know what to do.... really.....

03 March 2006
What I would suggest you do is a series of long studies over the next week. Take a few hours on each, as much as possible. Do some of Rebecca's workshop material, that will help you out immensely.

I'm sorry I can't give you better news than this, but you need to show something that has a finished and well polished presentation. Colleges can be fairly brutal about these things, so you need to be prepared. You need to show the college you're aware of your shortcomings and the goals you have to improve. As they say in the brief:

Quote: Applicants need to be selective in preparing the portfolio to ensure that it best represents their creative ability.
The assessment of the portfolio is based on the following considerations:

• potential for skill development
  • evidence of hand-eye skills
  • articulation of a sustained idea or concept.

You obviously show a lot of potential, but you need to work on the other two points.

03 March 2006
here's another sketch....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0002.jpg (13.7 KB, 15 views)

03 March 2006
Good start, you're doing studies. Keep at it, but you need to watch those proportions. Remember to lay down the gestures/construction first, before hitting up the rendering. Remember, fixing the proportions of a 5-minute construction is a heck of a lot easier (and much less painful) than realizing two hours into a rendering.

And like erilaz said, quit saying you suck. You keep that up, you'll end up believing yourself. Just as importantly, if you start saying that during your interview, your interviewers aren't going to try to convince themselves otherwise. Remember that long speech I gave you about confidence? Keep it well in mind.

03 March 2006
yeah about selling myself or something like that right?i'll keep it in mind thank you.strangely i have a bad habit of straying into rendering after drawing awhile lol.....

03 March 2006
hi rebecca im honoured by your presence and i thank you lotekk for helping me. i take art elective when i'm studying in my secondary school and regarding working with colour media, i stopped using colour pencils, postal colours after i left my secondary school.
secondly, if i dont get into this college, i must wait to retake my exams as i didnt do well for my maths....so, in other words, this college is my alternative. otherwise i will have to enroll in the army service before i continue pursuing my studies.

03 March 2006
Fusioniz,

I honestly think that you have to just start preparing what you have now. It's going to take you some time to prepare and label your work, right? Also, how close are you to the school? If you can hand deliver your work, then you may have a bit more time, but don't miss the deadline. If you live far from them, then you will have to mail your work, and that will take time ~ plus, things in the mail can get lost, so if you can document your work by scanning at full resolution (300 dpi) and save your work to disk or hard drive so you have a backup of it if you are submitting your original work. The worst would be to lose your existing work and then have to start from scratch.

If you do not get in and have to perform army service, how do you feel about that? For how long must you perform service, and can you get out at some point to pursue your schooling? I know LoTekk has experience here which he has likely talked to you about.

I think you have to do the best you can and start to prepare your portfolio for final presentation. Can you put your pieces in a nice, portfolio for presentation such as this:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz150/70/

Ideally you want one of those with plastic pages so you don't have to mount your work on something like illustration / presentation board, which will take you a bit of time. You will have to consider also how you want to label things.

I hope this helps. You just have to give it your best shot, and hope for the best. Present your work in the best way possible, and then submit your portfolio on time, making sure to meet their requirements.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

03 March 2006
Talking

Fusioniz,

Hi there, welcome to the Anatomy Forum. LoTekk was telling me about your work, and I understand that you have a short space of time in which to prepare a portfolio.

I think you probably know by now it's nearly impossible to put together a college~entrant quality portfolio in just 7 days. What are your options should you not get accepted this time around? I think you should try to think realistically about next steps ~ not getting overly stressed, but just trying to think through what will happen if you don't get accepted into art school right away.

What is your art training and background? I can see that you have potential, but have a lot of work to do, and you are more than free to use the Anatomy Forum as a training ground. As Elsie mentioned, you should also try to draw people, as well as have color pieces in your portfolio. Do you work with color media at all?

I don't know how the school system works in Singapore, but here we have small, less expensive community colleges where a lot of people go before going to a university, in order to hone their skills. Is there any such thing in Singapore, or can you simply take a few art classes?

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Also, I should say that no one is a 'nobody'. We all start with a certain amount of skill, and then hopefully we're all on an upward journey from there. Think of it as a challenge where you have to improve. As my grandfather would say, there's no where to go but up.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 03 March 2006 at 03:44 PM.

03 March 2006
hey apart from drawing landscapes can i draw other stuff?

03 March 2006
another drawing before i start rendering.ok now im going on to pastel painting.

did abit of modifications.the third piece
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0003.jpg (29.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg scan.jpg (43.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Scan0005.jpg (16.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Fusioniz : 03 March 2006 at 09:25 AM.

Thread Closed share thread