Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
Plaguedude
Veteran

portfolio
Robert Lavender
Dallas, USA

Cavern scene (could use some advice)

So, I'm trying to learn to do more environment types, I've done mostly man made environments so far. Right now I'm attempting to make a small part of a cavern, I don't intend to make it a playable space, but I am building it as if it were going to be a game asset.

What I'm trying to do is take a section from the NES game Metroid, specifically this section, and re-imagine it in 3D:

Here is an early render and the wires for what I've done so far:

Please disregard the iffy/missing textures, those are not finalized, I just placed them to get an idea of what that texture would look like. Here is the raw image of the texture, it shows the kind of rock I had in mind for the natural surfaces:

Since I've never modeled a cave/cavern before I'm mostly wondering if I'm doing it at all correctly or if there is a different way I should do it. I started with a long cube, added subdivisions to shape it, and then started using separate meshes to add in rock formations. The stalactite clusters are certainly placed haphazardly at the moment, they're easy enough to change though. Based on all the images of caves I've looked at and having been in a few, there are A LOT of stalactites/stalagmites/columns around. I don't want to clutter the view with them or bog down performance (if this were going to be actually used), so I'm wondering if there are any tips for making these formations seem numerous enough without using too many.

Next, the weird glowing things are supposed to be luminescent lichen that looks similar to this:

The scraggly thing I have now is just a placeholder, I could use some ideas on how I would model this plant without it becoming a giant waste of polys, if I have to use a 2D image on several flat planes thats fine, but if someone knows a better way I'd like to hear it.

Thanks for reading my lengthy post, and for any advice you can provide.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:53 AM   #2
ScarletShark
Frequenter

portfolio
Matt Barr
Technical Artist
ClearWave Interactive
Indianapolis, USA

Your early render is way too dark! I can't see anything. As for the plants, use your discretion.. if it's something that will be a minor part of the scene, do a 2D piece.

Example:

Otherwise, you should do a hybrid 2D/3D mesh, where the core and large branches are 3D, and the smaller details are 2D. An example would be a tree

Example:

Are you familiar with fractals?

You follow a certain set of rules, and repeat them over and over. Starting with the main trunk, the sum of the widths of its immediate children equal its width. Each branch is roughly an equal distance apart, in a spiraling formation.

A good description of how spirals and the Fibonacci Sequence affect our natural world: I want to marry this girl.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:53 AM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread