Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
PEN1
Frequenter
PEN1
NYC, USA

Buzzing textures on a fly thru.....

Hi, I've been trying to problem solve this for awhile..... My textures are buzzing on a fly thru. I've went through all the AA settings and maxed the out, increased FG, but still have the problem. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestion....

Thanks

Old 02-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
PEN1
Frequenter
PEN1
NYC, USA

Here's a sample of what I'm talking about....

Old 02-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
spy46
portfolio
Canada

that video is too short for me, i dont see where your talking about.

could you make a longer video that goes back and forth like a camera man zooming in and out trying to get the right picture.

is it supposed to be all the textures that are doing it or one on one thing, more info please

Old 02-06-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

At that level of compression it's impossible to tell buzzing apart from temporal reduction in the codec.

Assuming it's something flat to the camera, it's possible you have sampling problems texel(pixel(s) in a texture being looked up) to fragment (the life of the sampling process, at 0,0 AA a single pixel).

Basically a fragment (the rendering square which depending on AA can be anything between a fraction of a pixel to several pixels) will look up the result of the shading, which has the texture for input.

If that fragment (say a pixel) is covered by a texture too dense (say 15 pixels with many different colour), each frame, due to the camera movment, a different one might be picked, resulting in the location in the scene changing colour slightly every frame.

This isn't limited to textures, buzzing is a common consequence of any discrepancy between frames coming from an excessive frequency of data within the sampled set, data that due to this "crowdedness" will tend to change drastically every frame.

Increasing the rendering AA and using a wider and softer filter CAN suppress or alleviate the issue, as if ran enough times it will average things out, but it's the wrong way to go about it, and a very expensive way to deal with the problem.

Filtering the texture and/or reducing its density, avoiding excessive repetitions in tiling, smoothing it out and all such things will make a much more significant contribution, as you suppress noise at the source (the sampled data set).

If you're using bump mapping with a very noisy texture that can also result in very high frequency and jam packed noise, blurring the texture and reducing the bump will help.

Leave fixes like softer AA filters and more aggressive sampling as a last resort.

Sorry if this is long-winded, but I think it's an important fundamental of rendering that very few people ever bother learning.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
PEN1
Frequenter
PEN1
NYC, USA

Thanks JacO!

Hi JacO, thanks a lot for your comment! I had already went back and added a little blur to some textures and noticed the improvement. I will also test the bumps and different AA settings to improve the renders.

Thanks again for taking the time to break things down....

Take care

Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
Stoehr
Expert

portfolio
Matthew L Stoehr
Professor & Dept. Chair
American River College, Art New Media
Sacramento, USA

It sounds like you could benefit from this video.

You may not have set up FG correctly for animation, a very common mistake.

3D Models
@ Turbosquid

my Scripts

Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread