CGTalk > Software > Autodesk 3ds max
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 10-02-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
Olivier Bourgeois
montreal, Canada
Render in Max a Normal map created in xNormal

Hey guys,

I tried to find the answer on the web but I found nothing. I wanted to test different results by projecting a high res cylinder on a low res version (with 1 smoothing group applied in max). When I bake the normal in Max with the render to texture and preview it in Marmoset, it works great (I need to inverse the Y though). When I bake the normal in xNormal and load it in Marmoset, it also works great.

The problem I get is when I render in 3dsmax a normal map I created in xNormal. Even if I invert the Y in max before rendering, I get a weird result. So, my question is: When I create a normal map in xnormal, is it possible that max can't render it properly? I know that xnormal by default has the Y in the opposite direction then max but even when I invert it before rendering in max, it wont work properly. Any clue?

Old 10-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Olivier Bourgeois
montreal, Canada
I think I found the problem. Looks like I cannot put 100 on left side of the bump slot. I need to keep a lower number or it looks wrong..
Old 10-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
That doesn't sound right. It should always be 100. Maybe though it's gamma corrected. if it is, then that might make sense. Max defaults to gamma correcting every map in the recent versions, regardless of whether that makes sense for the map or not. It doesn't for normal maps. So try turning it off in the map properties.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread