Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #46
axiomatic
in process

portfolio
wil
happy
Beijing, China

As an Australian VFX artist working in China I have to say that I think the whole outsourcing overseas thing is a two edged sword. For example, up until this year China was allowing 20 american films each year into the country, this has just been upped to 34 (with some conditions). The number of new screens appearing in China is something ridiculous like 54 a day. New market place means more money going back home to Australia, the US etc, where-ever the films are made.

There's also an issue of quality in the outsourcing world. I'm hearing about outsourcing work to places here all the time ... and primarily the main work for films getting done in China is roto and match moving. Lots of the other work heads back out of the country to trained and trusted artists because there are quality issues with getting work done here.

The thing is, I just don't think the obviously endemic problems with our industry are caused by outsourcing ... or even that outsourcing is much of a symptom. Outsourcing to me seems more of a globalisation thing but the training and methodology of studios has an enormous impact on the quality of product. China is catching up fast but there is still a huge way to go. Local companies here are also on incredibly tight budgets and face the same problems as studios home - the outlook isn't much better from this side of the fence!

I believe the problems are more to do with the whole Hollywood system of film production and the distribution of funds within that system. I think VFX companies need to change the way they work and look for a more sustainable model of development. There is money to be made in films, and strong demand for incredible VFX ... end customers are willing to pay so it seems to me that there must be a way to make things work ... but the current system is just a race to the bottom.

I met a bunch of the Fuel team a couple of years ago at the AFI awards and they were such nice guys. I honestly wish them the best and they have my sympathy and well wishes for the future.
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

Old 09-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #47
Black_Fox
Veteran
Tony
London, United Kingdom

After having read most of the posts on this thread, I have to say, I'm seriously depressed.

Cheers guys!

I think it's time some of us (me included) moved on to other technologies...

Old 09-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #48
Black_Fox
Veteran
Tony
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLNT-3d
Ralph should charge students tuition to work on VFX to get great experience. Then he can charge less because the students can make up the difference

I hope this was a joke.... in very bad taste even >:((((

Old 09-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #49
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread