Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Peichun Yu

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2007
Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Peichun Yu

Peichun Yu is entered in the "Strange Behavior Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: wisdom in the night

07 July 2007
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: wisdom of the night

This is a very rough sketch in case people are quite confused about certain objects. The story describes a man carring a tree of wisdom. A number of cheerfully mischeivious tree spirits rest atop of the tree enjoing the shocking faces of the drunks and the food venders. Children gathers around the man as he gesturs to hand out the sprouts of the wisdom tree.

I realize there are alot more details that need to be added, and I hope to relate the free wisdom in such a way that is not rediculously labeled.

I am quite new to this and hoping to get a fun experience out of it, so feel free to comment and any critiques will be greatly appreciated. :)

07 July 2007
Nice idea and nice first sketch I think, perhaps, the 3 spirits can interact more with the astonished people. Only a comment. Good luck and looking forward for more updates!

08 August 2007
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: wisdom of the Night

I've added some more people, corrected the perspectives, and corrected some lighting issue, there is still much more :). I added in the tree spirits, thank you for the great suggestion of the interaction between the spirits and the people, thus I am slowly but surely working in thos elements :D. That's it for now, and as before suggestions are always greatly appreciated.

08 August 2007

made some changes again, I figured that the tree really didn't work out and I wanted something a bit more solid. I also corrected more perpectives so the buildings seem a bit more intimidating. Well that's it for now, I should soon start of the colors.

08 August 2007

made some changes again, I figured that the tree really didn't work out and I wanted something a bit more solid. I also corrected more perpectives so the buildings seem a bit more intimidating. Well that's it for now, I should soon start of the colors.

08 August 2007
Hey Peichun, I like a lot your new perspective, its great!! The sensation is of a more bigger city with really high buildings, nice!!

08 August 2007
Thumbs up

Hi Peichunyu, you have interesting idea good luck to you. The tree of knowledge in a bucket is a tough one, Iím not sure how you are going to pull this off. Props to you for trying.

Overall I like to original image better, more dynamic and dramatic. Also the character in the original image feels better the new character looks dopy on the face and the hat doesn't help either.

if you are going to have kids trying to get knowledge out of the bucket make sure they are swarming the guy all around him coming out of every corner of the street. Have the kids climb on top of each other that's how important that stuff is to them. Have the parents pull the kids away from the bucket while the kids are biting and scratching the adults.

What's the story behind the tree of knowledge is it positive negative.

What happens to the people who touch the tree of knowledge. Do they transcend human evolution and turn into spirits themselves. Or do they go mad? Or something else bizarre.

Do people want this guy in their village.

Does the bucket or the guy affects the environment in any way. It would be cool if the buildings would somehow morph into trees themselves or something like that.

How does the tree of knowledge looks like, is it solid coming out of the bucket trying to dig it's roots into the ground while the guy is walking. Or is the tree is a spirit itself making it translucent and semi transparent. Maybe the bucket holds tiny physical plant but in spirit it is a massive tree stretching high up into the sky.

Also the carrier of the bucket is he willingly embarked on this quest of transporting the tree or was it forced on him.

Is he affected by it physically or spiritually. Maybe it's draining his spirit away while the tree is out of the ground and in the bucket. His appearance should says it all.

Strangeness factor 3 (2 for the image 1 for the idea and potential)

0 - normal

10 - bizarre

I hope this was helpful keep it up and can't wait for the progress. Good luck and have fun.

08 August 2007

Fantastic suggestions, I really appreciated the support post and the criticism. My original intention was to illustrate for a small warm feeling that I often get after watching Miyazaki films. The reason why I kept changing the objects because I too noticed it didn't feel right. Now after thinking a bit more into my directions, the story ends up to be a fox shapshifter handing out fake lanterns of wisdom which brain whashes the receiver and their heads become big and their emotions numb. The boat with legs is an object to wow the kids, I plan to put laterns, more parts of carvings on it to make it look grand. The appearence of the boat and the parade warps the environment which I plan to put in destruction where the parade is the closest. In the corner I drew in an old man whith plants and live growing around it instead of destruction, perhaps wisdom looks dull and insignificant yet more precious. Lots more to draw in which I should finish this week. Thanks for the critiques, it was definetly a wonderful learning experience.

08 August 2007

Fantastic suggestions, I really appreciated the support post and the criticism. My original intention was to illustrate for a small warm feeling that I often get after watching Miyazaki films. The reason why I kept changing the objects because I too noticed it didn't feel right. Now after thinking a bit more into my directions, the story ends up to be a fox shapshifter handing out fake lanterns of wisdom which brain whashes the receiver and their heads become big and their emotions numb. The boat with legs is an object to wow the kids, I plan to put laterns, more parts of carvings on it to make it look grand. The appearence of the boat and the parade warps the environment which I plan to put in destruction where the parade is the closest. In the corner I drew in an old man whith plants and live growing around it instead of destruction, perhaps wisdom looks dull and insignificant yet more precious. Lots more to draw in which I should finish this week. Thanks for the critiques, it was definetly a wonderful learning experience.

08 August 2007
Smile

Hi Peichun, Iím not sure if Iím helping you or distracting u from your goal. But let me give you some of my personal thoughts.

You had a great idea but the execution just wasnít what you expected, that's understandable it's hard to translate the ideas or the images in your head down to paper. But now that you changed your story nothing became easier, you are stock with the same problems.

Ask yourself how are you going to represent:

"fox shape shifter " - again could be cool but visually challenging

"fake lanterns of wisdom" - now this one is your tree of knowledge, interesting ideas which are hard to implement.

"which brain washes the receiver" - actions that are not physical are hard to translate to paper which can be misinterpreted by the viewer later.

"Boat" - now at this point the boat doesn't fit in unless he is a fox shape shifting fisherman, sorry I had to. But what if you change a boat to a lantern in a shape of a boat. that would be grand and spectacular illuminating the whole street, people and kids would be dazzled.

Now here's a catch, this is a strange behavior challenge always remember that it all boils down to the behavior. So lets analyze it.

A character is walking down the street with a lanterns - as grand as the lanterns might be there is nothing strange about it. Normal character in a normal city is well normal. How about normal character walking down the street with lanterns in a city where everyone is crazy. His calm attitude would play nicely against the crazy people.

Try to play on extremes, good bad, light dark, normal abnormal, push it to the extreme. What if the lanterns are there to dazzle this crazy people so he can extract the madness out of them and store it in a bucket.

Always remember

1. What is the theme of the work "strange behavior"?

2. Is the behavior strange?

3 How strange, make it extreme

4 Don't forget about secondary characters, is their behavior strange?

5 What about the environment is it strange?

Everything else is a fluff.

Now most important thing, just because someone suggested something you have to accept it and start changing your ideas.

Remember time is money and just because you have 3 months to work on something it doesn't mean you should be changing every single time.

Develop a workflow.

Spend some time on the idea, if you have to put down on paper multiple ideas and chose the best one, unless you've made a decision.

Usually initial idea is the best idea, it might not be refined but obviously you wanted to express something. In that case all you have to do is to adjust it to make it work.

The list goes on what to do and how to do it.

Good luck

09 September 2007
Line Art or Model: wisdom of the night

This is the final line art, I went through quite alot of discoveries and ideas. I think this is the final one I ended up with. I had begun to paint it already, and I suspect nothing major should be changed as before :P. This has been great fun, and thanks to peoples comment which made me re-think my approach quite a few times. There are lots of great works in the forum which made me more inspired to learn :D. Thanks abunch!!

11 November 2007
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: wisdom in the night

here is a milestone

11 November 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread