WIP Textures for an older project.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2014
WIP Textures for an older project.

About oh close to a year ago I did this, http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=43&t=1090597
I have meaning to get to texturing that for some time, and started to do just that on and off now for the last couple of months. Everything but the book pages/spine decals are hand painted.

As it can be seen it is a work in process. I want to get this out now and get working on fixing things as I go.

01 January 2014
I'm very unskilled as far as modelling and texturing goes, so you're welcome to take my advice worth a grain of salt until someone with experience has the time to weigh in.

The texturing feels very unweathered from what I would expect. I would think the desk would be dirtier, darker, and scratched all to hell. I also think you're running the risk of the scene being too busy. There's a great deal to focus on in the image right now and the composition and lack of lighting isn't helping to single anything out. The wall looks barely passable on the left side, but on the right it's clear that the resolution is undermining you.

First I would pick what you prefer the focal point to be and settle on the composition. If it's the desk, then I would focus your work there. As you get further down the road, you can also make the focus more pronounced through lighting choices and depth of field. Maybe move the candle onto the desk and use that to put some moody lighting where you want it, so you can darken and subdue the busy details in the background? I think the scene won't feel so busy to me if the back wall, chair, and bookcase are covered in shadow when you get around to doing lighting.

Still far much more than I could achieve. Keep at it!

01 January 2014
The back wall is going to be completely redone, though I put it on the back burner right now as I work on the other things. As for lighting it is funny how one forgets simple things from time to time but this image does not have any ambient occlusion and will be in my next update.
For the composition of the scene please realize a bird (I am now thinking of a crow or something will be sitting on the perch, but due to polycount and rendering issues I have decided to leave him out of the scene until I get to him. but you can click on my link to get a idea of what that will be like.
Also I think everything needs to be textured and the lights played with before I can truly judge the composition.

I thank you for the commits on the textures and I do have something planned for the large book at this time, and will consider what you suggest as I move forward.

01 January 2014
Well, my primary concern is the composition. And by that I mean the framing and primary subject of the shot, not the overall content. When I look at the image, my eyes aren't sure where to go. Nothing in particular is actually serving as the primary subject of the composition, so it just looks busy and chaotic. Here's some thoughts that you can work with as you will.

1. The two mice have competing lines of action. I'm not sure if this is the proper term, but it basically means that one mouse makes me want to follow the scene in one direction, and the other mouse makes me want to follow it in another.

2. The bird is going to end up on the top left third of the image, which seems like a prominent spot but...I don't think it's going to end up that way. The chair is going to pull the eye away from it and into nothing. It's also too far away and too small to be prominent, but it seems to important to be in the background.

3. I can't tell what the focus of the image should be. Is it the book? Is it the mice? Is it the bird? You might need to make a tough decision and decide what you want to highlight, and maybe not even include another element, or put it in a more subtle spot where it doesn't immediately compete for attention.

4. The movement of the mouse seems out of place for the render. Maybe it's because the moving object is over such a busy background (the bookcase). Maybe it's because I feel like it wants to be a still life scene, and the mice should be posed differently. (Standing, not jumping) Right now it looks like someone paused an animation on an unflattering frame.

I dig the detail your putting into it, it's just too much competition. My eyes are confused.

01 January 2014
Finally got all the desk stuff textured, though touch ups will come in time. Wall textured is temporarily removed. Bird is placeholder and is only in shot to give an idea of what that will be like. Iaenic don't worry I am taking your composition concerns in to consideration. Particularly about the mice and the the movement aspect.
Also if anybody out their has some ideas about how to arrange a better composition with what I have I am all ears, (Specifics!)

01 January 2014
Got the bird textured and posed in a way I like it.

Other than that I have played with moving the dark colored mouse about the scene and have not liked any of the results. I decided thought to swap the texture pallets of the two mice for now.

Any strong suggestions on the composition would be very helpful if it is not working because I am really not sure where to take it.

02 February 2014
Worked on the background wall and some touch up on the cheese and statue. Still not done though for sure.

Have two different versions to compare.

02 February 2014
Lets try this.

02 February 2014
Some wall work. I think we are getting close.

02 February 2014
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread