SVA vs Full Sail

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
SVA vs Full Sail

Hey, I'm new to the site and a 10th grader from New york. I'm graduating high school early though and my plan is to go to a community college for a traditional art background first. I have natural talent that is better than most, but it's not stand out work. After I want to major in VFX and/or animation. My first school choice was school of visual arts, but i recently looked into full Sail as well. I was wondering what school is best for an education in VFX and animation. I've read many positive things and negative things for both schools. For Full Sail I saw that it is a lot of hard work and dedication which isn't a problem because I'm a very hard worker and I'm willing to devote my life to this stuff because I love it. Which school is better? Thanks for the advice.

03 March 2013
SVA is way better.

The department chair is very hands on and brings in lots of studios. While at SVA I was able to get a few industry internships. All the Instructors that teach in the VFX program at SVA work at studios in the industry whereas Fullsail is filled with instructors who used to work in the industry.

Just take a look at the student work and let it speak for itself.

http://svacomputerart.com/student-work.html

Thats why I went to SVA instead of Fullsail.

03 March 2013
Thanks for the input. Where have you worked since you've graduated from SVA?

04 April 2013
Yes I would definitely go to SVA too, for the record, I went to fullsail and I'm from NY, fullsail is not a bad school, but if you can go to SVA, definitely SVA all the way.

04 April 2013
If you're looking into Full Sail I would encourage to you to apply yourself to your art studies now to get as good as you can get by next year and apply to the Ringling School as well as other highly recommended schools. Until your personal work is exceptional you're going to have a hard getting and keeping work no matter the degree.

I hate to say it, but I almost only want to recommend Full Sail to people that are already familiar with software and are intermediate to low level advanced 3D users that can spend the time learning tips and tricks on how to get faster, more proficient, look for work almost immediately from day 1 and/or network with other students, faculty etc as their primary focus. As has been mentioned the "For Profit Education" enterprise is a bit of a slippery slope.

For the SVA part, it's a really good art academy and if you're interested in doing advertising/commercial VFX work in NYC that's definitely your school, that's where I've seen the most of the people focusing on CG stuff go. If you're more interested in film and CG feature type work look to the west coast like Academy of the Arts San Fran, CalArts, Gnomon or Animation Mentor if you want to pursue character animation. SCAD is one of the few "out of the geographic region" schools that a lot of the entertainment industry everywhere else pulls from so that place should be on your radar as well.

Certainly talent and drive will be noticed from anywhere and you could mess around, go to a Community College and end up with a job at ILM if your portfolio is smoking, but the industry based on region and company build strategic relationships with Universities and tend to pull from the more local or just known entities they've aligned with first.

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread