rendering fake ambient occlusion? for fur/hair mental ray

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
rendering fake ambient occlusion? for fur/hair mental ray

hi guys,

the renderer i am using is mental ray. I am working on the character dev for my final year film degree project at uni.

this is just a current wip of the character head profile.

The fur is ok ish i think.

The scene rendered in 1 minute and trying to achieve a 3d cartoon filmy look with cheap rendering times.

Current viewport render no AO:

Does anyone know or a tutorial for an efficient workflow for creating fake ambient occlusion for the hairs over the character? I would like to abe to use it over my fur pass over skin for my character instead of rendering AO on the hairs itself as it is very render expensive.

I tried plugging mib_amb on the hairs and body and did a pass but it took a very long tiem to render (8 minutes).

So if any of you great cg artists got ideas for a cheap occlusion for the hair ( also produce some darks on the skin effected by the hair) I would greatly appreciate it

PS: I did try out the puppet p_shaders and got some wonderful results they w ere amazing, but the plugin seems buggy in maya 2013 and also our uni renderfarms dont have these shaders so I had to back away :(((

Thank you for your time!

02 February 2013
Why rendertime is so important for you? Now days i would render hairs with FG, raytracing and AO with a help of unified sampling. Let computer do some calculations
Take a look at mentalcore, it works awesome with 2013 and it much more powerfull than Puppet shaders.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by kiryha: Why rendertime is so important for you? Now days i would render hairs with FG, raytracing and AO with a help of unified sampling. Let computer do some calculations
Take a look at mentalcore, it works awesome with 2013 and it much more powerfull than Puppet shaders.

hi kiyrha,

just trying to keep rendertimes optimized because we have to add the environment in too, we are planning to add FG as well. This is without FG. It still renders fast with FG thankfully.

Anyways i managed to get the ao render as well, it renders in a minute too now. I decided to just use the default mental ray since my uni cannot use puppetshaders =(.

PS: I love your fur tutorial!

Altough i am trying to follow it by just using default mr ^^;

I have not tried mental core before, our tutors talked about it I will have to check if we have it in our machines although not sure. Will check x)

Last edited by Kiyam : 02 February 2013 at 01:31 PM.

02 February 2013
I guess you can do fake AO, with the base of the color of hair been dark and the tip be white.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread