Weird Displacement Map Artifacts!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Weird Displacement Map Artifacts!

Hi, new to the forums here. Currently a student and have an assignment due this week. We had to model a base mesh, sculpt it, fix the topology, and then create a displacement map for the new model from the sculpted one. The problem I am having is that EVERY TIME I try and use the transfer details operation, I get really weird results. The worst part is around the ears:

I have tried just about every different setting I can change and it isn't making any difference. I have tried varying the search distance to just about every number from 4-10,000.

Also, I tried just extracting a displacement map instead of transfer details. I am still getting weird problems:

And here is a screen shot from the displacement map when opened in Photoshop. You can see some weird random pixels in the top corner along with weird stretching:

And not to mention I am also getting these popups every now and then when I try and do an extraction operation:

I thought that meant there were N-gons, but I went into Maya, used the cleanup tool to select all quads, and then did an inverse and no faces were selected. Also, I did what Mudbox asked and subdived, but it just kept coming up with the same popup.

Any help anyone can give me is greatly appreciated!

10 October 2012
that happens if the search distance is to high and the base mesh is to low...
and clean your mesh... mud needs production ready meshes...

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread