Lightheaded (animated short)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Lightheaded (animated short)

I just came across this nice animated short, and I don't recall seeing this posted at cgtalk in the past:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdPZSaoNWdc

This is the kind of animated short I like--something with meaning. There aren't any impressive action or complex visuals, but it contains actual storytelling.

Last edited by PaulHellard : 09 September 2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Corrected the YT link.

09 September 2012
Interesting. But I'm not sure what it's telling me... what's with that 1 toon who looks like the most selfish of the group just snatched the candle off his friends? It left me thinking in an annoying sort of way instead of inspired...

09 September 2012
Haha you misunderstood. He was offered the flame so that he may carry on the journey and continue the cycle.

09 September 2012
Neat short... Well put together for sure... Was that SSS material on the candle-figures?

09 September 2012
I'd take heart-pounding visuals over circular student stories like this any day of the week. And I can never easily digest students putting their name on all roles they can think of in the "credits".

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by Panupat: Interesting. But I'm not sure what it's telling me... what's with that 1 toon who looks like the most selfish of the group just snatched the candle off his friends? It left me thinking in an annoying sort of way instead of inspired...

You need to look at the subtext of the actions and not the action themselves--that is what good storytelling does. The entire short is about the courage to explore beyond one's comfort zone, even in the face of hardship and uncertainty, and to carry on the unfinished exploration/work of others and devote one's self to a greater cause than simply surviving comfortably. And then, because of the sacrifices that everyone made, their life's work in turn sparks the curiosity of others and inspires them to also go out and explore the unknown, thus a cycle of continuous inspiration is established.

This resonates with all creative talents, scientists, and anyone who's ever had a dream or goal in life. We first become inspired to become something because of what other people did with their lives--artists, writers, directors, animators, game designers, etc, and we begin our own journeys following similar paths, exploring worlds beyond our mundane existence. We endure hardship and we meet kindred spirits along the way who become co-workers and partners, and when we reach a certain point of accomplishment, we in turn inspire the next generation of aspiring creative talents.

09 September 2012
Yes definitely it's one about the Pioneering Spirit.

But what Lunatique forgot to point out is that the short also shows the price you pay for being a little less prepared before trying to leave the pack and the fact that the dream of one is sometimes built on the efforts of others.

09 September 2012
I think it is great as well. And it's not selling anything other than an idea.
It's all just for the story and to test the skills. And since he's possibly still young, he has all the time in world to improve further.

09 September 2012
I knew it! The universe isn’t expanding! Everything in it is shrinking--at an accelerating rate!

Each candle being that becomes a ‘candle-solar-system’ is significantly smaller than the hot waxworld it was spawned from. If the cratered disks the shooting stars land in the centers of remain constant in size (representing static unexpanding space), the progressively smaller beings will have farther and farther to travel to get to the rim, with less and less energy to get there. This will put ever increasing demands on motivation and ingenuity, resulting in greater and greater futility.

Moral of the story—entropy wins every time.

09 September 2012
The ACTUAL Lightheaded YouTube page.

Hello all,
Thank you for posting my movie, "Lightheaded".
There have been many YouTube channels simply taking it and placing it on there channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdPZSaoNWdc

PLEASE subscribe to my MikeDacko Channel and "like" Lightheaded if you'd like to support a story teller like myself.

Thank you,
Mike Dacko
Director of Lightheaded
Like it on Facebook

09 September 2012
@Mike - Welcome to cgtalk! I hope you stick around and become part of our community. Can you talk a bit about the idea behind the short film, how it came to you, and why you chose it as the subject (as opposed to the typical sci-fi/fantasy action extravaganza that everyone else is doing).

Originally Posted by marcuso: I'd take heart-pounding visuals over circular student stories like this any day of the week. And I can never easily digest students putting their name on all roles they can think of in the "credits".

Some people prefer bombastic action extravaganza, while some prefer intelligent storytelling--it's a matter of taste. Some people enjoy both. Personally, I always want intelligent storytelling, even in bombastic action extravaganza, otherwise it becomes mindless blockbuster crap--the kind everyone is always complaining about when they criticize Hollywood.

I don't quite understand your comment about the credits. What exactly is your problem with students identifying the roles they played in the production of their films in the credits? What else exactly should they be doing instead?

09 September 2012
pretty sure this is a story of fertility, with the one lil guy making it into the egg...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...ZSaoNWdc#t=143s

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread