First time user - infamous Mental Ray polygon artefacts

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

06 June 2018
First time user - infamous Mental Ray polygon artefacts

Hi all, first time user of 3DS here. I'm using 3DS Max 2016 on Windows 10 Pro 64Bit on a Microsoft Surface Pro 2.

I've created an animation for a client using 3DS Max (jumping in at the deep end I know), and have been having issues with this seemingly common to Mental Ray, yet difficult to overcome polygon artefact problem. (Image 1)

Thus far, i've tried everything on Autodesks own page dedicated to this issue (Final Gather, switch between Raytraced/MR Shadow Maps for on lighting, etc...) and the only thing thatmade any difference was applyinga smooth modifierto the effected objects (Image 2). However, it seems to be the relationship between these two particular objects thatseems that iscausing the issue, further confirmed by the artefacts mostly disappearing when removing either object from the scene (Images 3/4).

There are 4 physical lights in the scene, and only 2 of those have shadow casting enabled. I'm hoping someone can share some further options to try beyond what i've found on other threads and from Autodesk, being so new to the program somewhat limits my knowledge of more indepth workarounds.

07 July 2018
Those images don't really show a clear picture of what's going on. I can't tell anything about the object I'm looking at or how you have the scene set up. Can you post more images ?

reply share thread