Unity 5 vs Unreal Engine 4 vs Others?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2015
Unity 5 vs Unreal Engine 4 vs Others?

Basically, I'm not sure if this is the correct sub-forum to post or not, so please move if appropriate....

Anyway unless I've missed something, I can't find a recent post about this, so I thought I would start a discussion.

Recently Unity 5 and Unreal Engine 4 have both released full free versions (give or take a few features of Unity 5, and discard the licensing for now), as they look to compete for domination. I have played with Unity 4 Free, but found the limitations on shaders, lighting, etc very fustrating, and there's no way I could justify the price (even if it wasn't astronomical), so my eye was always on the look out for an alternative, possibly Unreal. Then BOOM, both go free and I'm absolutely lost and amazed at the same time.

Anyway, my query (and probably others) is simply, which is better? I know open questions like this are often frowned upon, as I'm sure people will pipe-up with "it's all about the artist....". But this for me makes the comparison even harder.

As a freelancer (with little coding experience), looking to dabble in either Unity or Unreal, I would be looking for advice and opinions from actual users as to which path to go down, and what real comparisons can be made.

Which is the most intuitive?
Which is the most flexible?
Are there any major differences?
Visual differences final for graphics?
Is one more power intensive than the other?
Lighting, shading, etc comparisons?
Browser support?

And some possible additional questions from a freelancer / hobbyist point of view...
Which is easier to use with minimal coding for simple visualisation type projects?
Augmented reality comparisons?
VR headset compatibility comparisons?

Basically I want to hear the pro's and con's for each, and any others (Source 2, UDK, although from my inital reading these 2 seem least applicable to a freelancer / hobbyist, but perhaps I'm wrong).

Discuss (please )

Dean

03 March 2015
You can try both and see which one you like best. In my opinion Unreal is unbeatable due to it being open source and as a result it has development speed that dwarfs all of it's competitors. Over the last year Unreal added more new features than Unity and Cryengine did in two years.

Go download both and see which one you like better.

reply share thread