Poster Drawings By 11th Door

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2005
Poster Drawings By 11th Door

Hi Rebecca (and everyone,)

Rebecca, you had asked when I had the time, to post a tutorial or two on what I learned from Steve and Vern at ACCD. I will get to that when time is more generous to me.

In the mean time, I thought I would put up these poster drawings I did several years back when I taught a few small drawing classes.

The posters are all done on 2 X 3 foot newsprint paper (Rebecca, remember the paper Steve and Burne used for the in-class demos, this is the same stuff.) The Anatomy Posters were done in January of 2002 and each one took me between 4-6 hours to complete. The black and white Head Detail Posters were done in December of 2000 and only took a few hours each to do. So all of these are fairly old now.

All of the drawings were done using a set of NuPastels that I have. I took these little snapshots of the posters before I had them laminated (so I could hang them in the classroom.)

My main influences in these works are illustrators like J.C. Leyendecker, Dean Cornwell, Frank Brangwyn, as well as teachers like George Bridgeman, Steve Huston, Vern Wilson, Dallas Good and Burne Hogarth. My focus was on simplified structure in all of the drawings. The silly candy color of the Anatomy posters was done to show greater separation of muscles and to throw some color into the room. The Truncation in the Anatomy posters is for the purpose of cross section analysis.

Thanks for letting me post these, Rebecca.

Kyle

Last edited by KyleKane : 09 September 2005 at 04:28 AM.

09 September 2005

09 September 2005

09 September 2005
This is an in-class demo that I did as a lecture in front of the class. About 20-30min demo drawing (maybe a little longer, I can't remember.) Done in Conté Crayons on 2 X 3 foot newsprint. The head measures about 20 inches in height. Proportions are a little off.

Last edited by KyleKane : 09 September 2005 at 10:22 PM.

09 September 2005
Talking

Kyle,
Good lord, these drawings are fantastic!!! Thanks a bunch for posting these, I think people will just hugely love these great drawings!!!

Great work...off to advertise then!!!

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Wow some of the best I've seen for sure. Thanks for sharing these

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by 11th Door:

Nice work! :O The colors are nice too.
The one on the top left looks familiar tho. (Not saying it is copied - just, it looks familiar to me).

09 September 2005
Talking

What's going on, Hong? It's a reunion tour, lol!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all your input and compliments.

Digitalputty, (cool name by the way ) I suppose the reason that the one you pointed out looks familiar is that the drawing is pretty darn generic in character (I actually have a pretty generic face, unfortunately, and I didn't push any character into it.) That coupled with having been a student of Hogarth and, since his imagery is everywhere, it seems likely that it resembles his generic head model that is prevelant in all of his books. That, or perhaps someone similar with a similar generic model. None of the drawings are particularly pushed in terms of character or pose. I am glad you like them though.

HONG, I can't wait to reconnect, Man. Yeah, I am taking a break from teaching to try to actually make some art again. I have been inactive for the last 3 years in terms of creation, spending my time trying to help students make their improvements. And so, like so many teachers, I fell into disrepair, and got seriously rusty in terms of making anything myself. I became a teacher instead of an artist, which prompted me to leave teaching to pursue some unfulfilled dreams. I decided that it was time to go digital finally and to take a chance at getting a industry job. It is really what I have wanted to do. If you have some time I would love to get together. We had some fun times at ACCD and you were always a great help to me. I've heard you've done well. I'll send you an email ASAP.

Pixelstalk, I will try to find some photos that I took during the making of one of the Anatomy drawings. I'm not even sure I still have them but if I do I will post a tutorial on Rebecca's Anatomy Forum. I don't think there will be much to learn there but I will do it anyway if I have the shots. My process really isn't anything special compared to some of the people on this site, but it is an honor to be asked. If I can't find the shots, I may do another drawing of a Hand or lower leg with foot. If I do I will document that one fully and post it. That may take me awhile though, Sorry.

Later All,

Kyle

P.S. Thank you, Rebecca, for all your help and support.

Last edited by KyleKane : 09 September 2005 at 10:31 PM.

09 September 2005
Very nice works thanks for posting them. You should do a book

09 September 2005
@11th Door

I almost forgot to say thank you.
It's really nice to have an idea of how you achieve your inspiring results.
So you work from both a mirror and printed reference when it comes to
muscle studies

I was wondering if there was maybe a plastic model for these,
since skeletons seem to be sometimes available.
So the days of dissecting corpses must have ended in the Renaissance?

Actually I remember this guy in our local class that went to medical school
and apparently did it, or so the rumour was.
Actually I was only 17 and just didn't have the guts (or stomach) lol

I'll have to look at the Hogarth books someday
Hope we get a chance to see your digital work someday.
Thanks again.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Last edited by Spin99 : 09 September 2005 at 09:54 PM.

09 September 2005
Hey Spin99,

Back in my days as a Teachers Aid at Art Center, I used to go with the students every term to view cadavers at USC medical school. I probably went 20 times so I definitely picked up knowledge there. I don't own a plastic skeleton at this time but It would have come in handy and I think they are a good buy if you get a good quality one.

I recently met a guy at Comic Con in San Diego that has an amazing half sized anatomy model. The casts run between $200-$400 I think depending on the kind you want. I will probably get one some day. I have sculpted anatomy models in the past but never molded or cast them. I just don't have the time or money right now to go through the process. Who knows, maybe one day.

later,

Kyle

09 September 2005
These are really fantastic illustrations and it would be a crime if more people didn't see them. So, I gave you a little front page thingie ...

09 September 2005
Thumbs up

superb illustrations!
thank you so much!
this will help me a lot.
:bowsdown:

Thread Closed share thread