C++ or Python? - Which Programming Language to Learn?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2012
C++ or Python? - Which Programming Language to Learn?

Hello everybody
I'm an Autodesk Maya user, and am eager to learn an advanced programming language...a languae that I could create stunning effect not by compiling currently available tools of an application but to change whatever I like just by standing outside of the application. I have an average knowledge of MEL, but it hasn't satisfied me and due to recent discussions around Python in CGTalk Forum, I got a little more doubtful about my programming future. Which language is the most promising, accepted and unlimited one?

C++ or Python?

08 August 2012
Start with python. Then the OpenMaya module and after that, C++. Of course these steps will probably overlap.

David

08 August 2012
As always it depends. It depends a lot on your goals. If you want to create computational expensive tasks, c++ is required, but you can do almost everything with python and the python api in maya.

I recommend python as well and if you have a good understanding of python, try pymel for maya.

08 August 2012
sorry is it possible to handle shader programming with Python as C+ does? is it possible to handle plugin programming the same as C++ performs it?

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by mostafabibin: sorry is it possible to handle shader programming with Python as C+ does? is it possible to handle plugin programming the same as C++ performs it?

Short version: No. I consider python to be a scripting language, C++ is an actual programming language. Python in Maya is a lot like MEL; Easy to hammer out a script that automates processes like auto-rigs, pipeline tools, batch files etc. Compiled C++ code runs many magnitudes faster. For example, if you want to create your own fluid solver, you need some heavy computations. Python would choke on it. If you were looking to create some code that converted all of your .exr's to .tifs after a render is done and send comp an email... Python is right up your alley. There is a lot of overlap, but for the average artist Python is your day-to-day language, while C++ is for tool creation.

Dust Rig - tutorial for Maya

Tonga the Fox - Free cartoony rig for Maya!

08 August 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread