pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to cresshead Send a message via Yahoo to cresshead
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralvord
No one is debating the commercial vs non-commercial. Your point earlier about a student spending $800 for something so that they can be familiar with it enough to walk into company ready was the focus of the discussion. My point still stands. I don't know many students willing and/or able to spend $800 on something they can get for free right now or use in the college they're already paying for.

When you employ the students that have learned to use Maya they'll need a commercial licence to work with...and creating commercial models for indie games.

they is referring to the employers not the students obviously..however with english you could read it as the students i suppose...crossed wires by the looks of it.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 09-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #92
Boone
Lord of the posts
portfolio
-
United Kingdom

Its great to finally see Autodesk releasing a lite version of Maya, and I applaud them for it. I agree that it would be useless outside of small game development where the intent is not rendering, but...its hard to fault for its price, and Autodesk has made it clear as to who the target audience are.

Two things, though; in the games scene Max is the obvious choice, and so one wonders why AD have gone with Maya. Also, the name "LT" suggests a weaker version of Maya itself, but with all-round capability. Maybe it should be called "Maya: Mobile" or "Maya: Game". Oh, and with Blender being very popular with small indies, Maya LT should be given at least python scripting.

Personally, I love Maya and prefer it to all other packages, but the UK price of 700 is too expensive for what it does. The extra effort to learn Blender and using packages such as 3D Coat + Silo for modelling is certainly justified in this case.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 09-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #93
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone
Two things, though; in the games scene Max is the obvious choice, and so one wonders why AD have gone with Maya.

Max is not on OSX. It is hardly the obvious choice for games. I know more studios using Maya than I do using Max.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #94
Boone
Lord of the posts
portfolio
-
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
Max is not on OSX. It is hardly the obvious choice for games. I know more studios using Maya than I do using Max.

Whilst Max not being on OSX is a strong disadvantage where Apple development is concerned, 3ds Max has been the dominate package in games development for the last two decades.

Saying that, if Autodesk keeps deliberately neglecting Max then sure, Maya will take over as the primary package.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #95
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Whilst Max not being on OSX is a strong disadvantage where Apple development is concerned, 3ds Max has been the dominate package in games development for the last two decades.

MAX is not on Linux either. So maybe it is the writing on the wall:

Is it easier to make all their 3d software platform independent?! Or focus one software to as many markets as possible (that *already is* platform independent) going forward and see if it catches on?...
Its not how is the market is 'today' it could be more about what can they make it look like 'tomorrow' with some gentle pushes to their customers.

If the push works-then they starting planning end-of-life cycles to the old guard. All wild speculation of my part.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #96
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:

Saying that, if Autodesk keeps deliberately neglecting Max then sure, Maya will take over as the primary package.

Can you post your sources and links that shows exactly how 3d max has been dominating games for the past two decades.

In any case a product released for indie devs cannot ignore the biggest indie market. Or are you suggesting all those people developing for apple drop it and switch to windows so they can use Max.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #97
Boone
Lord of the posts
portfolio
-
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusboy
MAX is not on Linux either. So maybe it is the writing on the wall:

Is it easier to make all their 3d software platform independent?! Or focus one software to as many markets as possible (that *already is* platform independent) going forward and see if it catches on?...
Its not how is the market is 'today' it could be more about what can they make it look like 'tomorrow' with some gentle pushes to their customers.

If the push works-then they starting planning end-of-life cycles to the old guard. All wild speculation of my part.

Maintaining a software on three different platforms will naturally be more difficult than for a single platform.

I remember when development on Silo came to a halt. There was talk by the developers that they were working on a new update for it, but there was some difficulty with the OSX version at the time, even though the windows version was okay. In the case of Max, maybe being Windows-only kept it easy enough to maintain. It would be great if someone from the dev team could shed light on that one...

Old 09-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #98
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

I am suggesting the opposite actually.
If Autodesk think the OSX and Linux markets are getting as important
as Windows (and in the case of VFX is definitely true already today) then they may give the chops to the kid that is already there.
Other industry developers (Side Effects, The Foundry, etc) support all three too. Its pretty industry standard now-just not so much for games (yet).

The chances of MAX going Linux and OSX are unlikely but that may also spell it's doom too if that becomes a priority (tomorrow). Only Maya is already 'there'.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #99
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread