Hi poly glass shatter crashes (vray)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2014
Hi poly glass shatter crashes (vray)

Hi

I have an ncloth sim with a square plane that has been cut up hundreds of times. I then created an ncloth object and extruded the plane. The result has around 20000 faces. The sim is quite fast, an object smashing through the glass.

The fragments have a refractive vray material applied and the scene always crashes maya. Anyone have any experience of this? It renders ok without the extrude. A simple non refractive material doesn't seem to crash.

Could it be the modelling of the fragments? Interpenetration? Weird normals after the sim? I'm sure i've done this kind of thing before and haven't experienced crashes....

any ideas would be of great help....

02 February 2014
sounds like you are getting some infinite recursions which are soaking up all of your ram?

what is your ram usage looking like when you try to render? You may have to increase ram or limit recursions.

02 February 2014
Thanks...

well the memory seems to stay at around 5gb during the glass fragment buckets and theres 28gb ram... but i haven't checked just before the crashes, maybe it shoots up. The vray trace depth for the material is at the default of 5, is there anything else i should check for infinite recursions? It does seem like the most logical cause.

02 February 2014
Hi

Just to update anyone who comes across this. There was an issue with vray for maya, refractive glass and bump maps, causing the crash, the brilliant guys at chaos group are on the case, but for now the work around is to lose the bump map and model the distortions in the glass.

02 February 2014
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread