Multiple UV sets in Zbrush?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2013
Multiple UV sets in Zbrush?

Hey,cannot really find much info on this.To my understanding multi map exporter should work with multiple UV sets correct?
What would the workflow be from MAX to Z in terms of getting multiple Uv's for the character.What Im doing now basically is create seams in MAX,separate pelted pieces into different UV sets and in Zbrush using UV master I would unwrap using existing seams from max.However when exporting my UV are brought back into one UV set?Please advice,thank you in advance.

11 November 2013
Hi, when you say multiple UV sets, are you talking about putting shells outside the 0-1 space ?

I'm asking that because in maya ( don't really know about max ), UV sets are really separated, I mean you can unfold your model in a way and in another UV set in a totally different way with different seams and all, nothing to do with 0-1 or whatever space you put them in.

I think you are talking about laying down your shells in different spaces to assign different textures. I am right ?

I also would like to know how you figured it out ( in any of the two possibilities, because I didn't know zBrush could handle either one ).

Thank you have a nice sculpting day

11 November 2013
Was it that you had "merge UV's" on?

11 November 2013
naah I just completely redone UVs in max and that seems to have resolved my issue.

11 November 2013
Question

Originally Posted by keupon: Hi, when you say multiple UV sets, are you talking about putting shells outside the 0-1 space ?

I'm asking that because in maya ( don't really know about max ), UV sets are really separated, I mean you can unfold your model in a way and in another UV set in a totally different way with different seams and all, nothing to do with 0-1 or whatever space you put them in.

I think you are talking about laying down your shells in different spaces to assign different textures. I am right ?

I also would like to know how you figured it out ( in any of the two possibilities, because I didn't know zBrush could handle either one ).

Thank you have a nice sculpting day

yah,I did not confuse the term UV islands with the UV sets.I was in fact trying to use multiple UV sets for higher res textures and normals and such.Zbrush got me super confused as by default it only reads UV coordinates in 0-1 space to my understanding.So if you were to try and export your texture out of Z using standart old skool means Zbrush would put all of your uvs in the first UV (0-1) space.However you should not trust that.Multi map exporter has the ability to read multiple sets of UVS and so will export a texture for every set that you have.Even UV master in Z has the ability to unwrap multiple UV sets if you'll define the seams and split your UV in maya or MAX prior to unwrapping in Z.I suspect that my problem was that I had UVs from one set intersecting with the other maybe,not quite sure though.Also by using multiple UV sets I had a problem with my normal maps that had UV seam lines all over them,but it SEAMS that I have sorted that out.lame pun intended :(

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread