Fixing collide mesh penetrations procedure?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Fixing collide mesh penetrations procedure?

Well after eight - or -so hours of first encounter with Syflex on ICE... I must admit - I'm impressed! I'm not a total beginner in world of simulations, but lately I was searching for best possible solution for cloth simulations in this personal project of mine... Max cloth, my primary program, (as I already knew, but tested/try it anyway) is the worst one, single threaded (slooooow), obsolete, plates... garments... unstable and unreliable.

Maya Ncloth pretty good one, nice options, maps, easy to learn BUT also single threaded, or semi single threaded, and also slooow. I just can't bare watching my seven of eight cores doing nothing...

Qualoth... different story, very good one, maybe a little bit old, still using plates and nurbs surfaces, but also supports polygon meshes. Multithreaded, fast, but a little bit scarce in options... biggest disadvantage - terrible documentation... lack of tutorials, only a dozen or so on youtube in low resolution without sound!

Syflex on ICE... poetry... multithreaded, lightning fast, 2250 frames of animation/simulation in few minutes... also lacks tutorials, and documentation is as usually (Autodesk style) dry... but usable... if you have any previous experience... God forbid if you are first time user!

Sorry for long post, question is, how do I fix penetrations of collide mesh trough cloth? What is the procedure? I suppose you cache it and then what? Pull vertices with some brush? How do you truncate cache (if there is such an option)? Resume simulation after fixing?

06 June 2013
Where are you getting the interpenetration?

Most of the time I'd say you're better off trying to solve the reason for it rather than fixing afterwards - for example in a knee joint you could use ice to stop the base mesh intercolliding, so that it doesn't push the cloth through itself in the first place.

06 June 2013
Unfortunately that won't work... thing is that I have cartoony style of animation i.e. lots of squash/stretch/bend deformations in my cached skin from Max... slowly I'm developing an idea (while reading documentation) about one "cache on file" node for writing cache, second one for reading it and, passing that frame to a deformer template with sculpting capabilities, who will after some manual sculpting of vertices, pass their value (position) to the third "cache on file" node for inserting that frame in it's timeline without affecting previous and next frame of the cache... does this makes any sense?

06 June 2013
yeah that makes sense then. You could have a second copy of the mesh that is driven by inputting the cached mesh's pointposition, (easier than numerous cache files), and drive that by deformers which are cluster constrained to the original mesh.

Do a search for local tweak on http://www.rray.de/xsi/

Can use weightmaps to paint influence if a null shape isn't exact enough for you.

06 June 2013
This solution could also work if amended to mesh scuplting instead of particles.

https://vimeo.com/58248152

06 June 2013
Thanks man! Great suggestions... btw nice site and work so far.

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread