CGTalk > Challenges > Sketch Challenge
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Old 03-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #16
Chris Moeller
Phoenix, USA
Send a message via AIM to doomtoo Send a message via MSN to doomtoo Send a message via Yahoo to doomtoo

I'll keep trying to draw often, but still feel like I'm missing vital information to be able to move forward. Information from some art books like "how many heads tall different proportions should be", are things that would be vital to actually doing good looking artwork vs. "off/ incorrect".

I hear terms like "getting the composition right", setting up the values, ect, and it seems like there should be some way to find out the skills you need, and be able to practice and develop each one, so you can have meaningful improvements.

I know practice makes perfect, but it seems like you have to understand what the basics are, to be able to practice. :(
Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #17
Jorge Pozo
Animator/Illustrator/Game Artist
Tampere, Finland
Like learning a new language, our brains know exactly how to learn drawing. But it's our anxiety what makes everything so difficult. It happens with everything in life. I read sometime ago about the three brains: the reptilian, the mammal and the logic. The reptilian cares about basic survival needs (too cold, too hungry...). The mammal about personal relations (she didn't like me, I don't feel loved, I'm not good enough,...) and the last one for learning and understanding.
Reptilian can block the mammal and the reason, the mammal can block the reason. If you want to fully learn and understand something you need to be for as long as possible in peace with yourself. Enjoy the path not the goal. Like Sazem has told, we all are in our personal journeys. All of them end in the same place (2 meters under the surface ), it only matters how you get there.
Have you read "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain"?. The book have a couple of things really interesting about why some people find difficult to draw (especially faces, girls/boys, etc). It's far to be a complete drawing manual but it helped some of my students to know like good drawings and bad drawings in terms of perspective, anatomy, render, etc. If so, our work would be easier but not as wonderful as it is.themselfs better: why, if they can see the model in front of them, they couldn't draw it right. To see things like they really are is an important step. You need to fill your mind with better models for the real world that the ones we use in normal conversation or activities. This is the only skill you really need to draw from a model or still life (and patience).
Also remember that there is not such a thing
It depends of how you feel about it, but participate with someone in a proyect usually works well: it make you feel responsible for the other person and help to forget about other things. I'm sure you can find people around to prepare a one page comic, or something like that (an illustration for a short story or famous book, whatever). One can do the sketch and the other the color, and then shift, etc...
Have fun here, this is a wonderful subforum! Post your soul here, we'll like it for sure!

Sorry about the brick.

Last edited by jorgepozo : 03-15-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #18
Tyl Destoop
Illustrator - Graphic Designer
Wortegem-Petegem, Belgium
You know what to do, Doomtoo. Learn the basics (lots and lots of books and tutorials explaining the basics). Practice them. Keep your sketches. When you look back at them after a while you will see your improvement. It will motivate you, and the more you are motivated, the more you will draw and the faster you will learn. But know that frustration will come knocking on your door over and over again. Itís not your enemy; it just comes to check up on your improvement and it will always say ĄYouíre not there yet, manĒ. The truth is, itís not about getting there, itís about the journey. Do what you love, love what you do.
You beat me on the journey part, Jorge
Old 03-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
Lord of the posts
Sampo Pesonen
Send a message via MSN to Sazem
hehe Jorgepozo I totally agree everything you said!
I also recommend the "drawing right side of the brain".. when I started drawing, that was the one of the first books I found and I jumped atleast 2 "levels" better. From completly nothing to atleast something. (I could almost draw portraits after this book!, I made little money from those too hehe)

I would also recommend to check out this Journey
Journey of absolutely rookie: Sketches and paintings

Its has been inspiration for my blog. Because you can see, how much he improves because he is making a lot of work in it! Beginners should watch the whole thread through (it has huge amount pages, I know!).

I picked up also some tips and tricks from there.. Like hmm lets see, now he is studying perspective..and hes results got this much better! Maybe I should now practice also perspective...

anyway! good luck.. i am back to sketching
My digital sketchbook: Click here!
Old 03-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #20
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread