Training resources for VFX Lighting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

08 August 2014
Question Training resources for VFX Lighting

Hey there.

Does anyone know of any good resources out there for practicing lighting for VFX? That is to say integrating 3d elements into a live action 2d plate.

I've managed to find various HDRIs which are a good start, but I would be great to find some video footage with HDRs of the shot included as-well. Even better would be to find some full training shots with live action footage, HDRs and 3d assets included.

I appreciate it'd be best to produce all these things myself, however I don't have access to a camera to shoot any footage/ HDRs, and in the interest of saving time it would be nice to have pre-made 3d assets as it would allow me to just focus on the lighting/ comping of the shot (the area I'm most interested in practicing.)

I know 3drender.com have some great lighting challenges which are shared here, however these are aimed more at lighting an entire environment from scratch rather than lighting a 3D asset to match the lighting information in a live action plate.

Thanks for any help in advance !

08 August 2014
So you work at Framestore, and they cant supply you with training resources?

To answer the question; there are some resources out there with backplate/hdri .. Unfortunatly, they are not for free.. Or at least the ones Ive found.

You might find backplates along with hdri at HDRlabs .. Ia not 100% sure .. If not it is a great place for learning more about IBL lighting and they share some high quality stuff.

Last edited by seka : 08 August 2014 at 09:34 PM.

08 August 2014
Thanks for replying !

I've had a look around HDR labs. Your right it is a great resource! Might just have to make do with creating plates from the HDRs then.

There is some training material at Framestore, however I was looking for material I could practise at home as you can't take anything from the studio away with you. Also I'm on a training scheme for tracking there which takes up most of my extra time :/!

08 August 2014
np m8.

here is another site you will find useful .. one of my favorites actually. hdrmaps

08 August 2014
Oh wow! Yeah there are some really great ones there !

Cheers for that !

08 August 2014
I would recommend fxphd. they provide alot of footage and assets along with pro videos so you can focus on the lighting etc. alot of the time lighting for vfx is a good hdr and a key light. best of luck

reply share thread