Taking a 3d Course, Need some advise(please)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2010
Question Taking a 3d Course, Need some advise(please)

Hello, My name is Daniel Samson. After completion of my post graduation in Media Studies. I worked as a character modeler for over a year. Now I'm planning to take a course in 3d animation to improve my skills and I'm interested to work in US after completion of the course. That's the only way I could able to pay off the loan quicker. It would be nice if you can recommend me a 12 month or 2 year course or masters program, that teaches 3d animation / advanced 3d modeling. Of course I know about Gnomon, VFS but after finishing the course there i won't get enough time to look for work. Since I'm planning to look for a job in US, Can you please suggest colleges that would let me get post study work visa. Also I'm not interested on doing a bachelors degree program cause I don't have much time or money to kill. Please feel free to comment.

01 January 2010
Well with VFS [which is in Canada not the US, but since you've mentioned it] you can always try to work very hard and apply for a scholarship at the end of the course. This would give you additional 3 months of studies [basically doing your own thing] after the completion of the programme [which would require a visa extension - normally they'd extend the visa to 6 months - so in all you'd have 6 months allowance - it's not clear cut and certain though]. Otherwise I don't know of a course which woud let you stay in the country long enough to do a job hunt and not study any more. Usually a country that requires a study permit will only issue the permit for the time you're at school. When it comes to Canada - make sure the school is on the Immigration office list of schools whose alumni qualify for a post study visa... My eployer first tried to get this type of visa and it turned out VFS was not on the list.
Just some thoughts. Maybe somebody else might fill you in on the US.

01 January 2010
Thanks a lot Intervain. I'll keep those in mind.

Originally Posted by Intervain: I don't know of a course which woud let you stay in the country long enough to do a job hunt and not study any more. Usually a country that requires a study permit will only issue the permit for the time you're at school.

I think colleges in UK offer a year for employment. Student recruitment adviser (Bournemouth University, UK) mentioned " A postgraduate VISA usually allows for your study period and a year of employment:
http://www.visabureau.com/uk/post-study-work-visa.aspx "

I'm hoping there must be something similar to this in US too. So again my question is.. After completion of Post graduation in US , would one get time to look for work?

Last edited by dancgfx : 01 January 2010 at 10:09 PM.

01 January 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread