WIP: KREOLA - Jonah Booth-Remmers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
WIP: KREOLA - Jonah Booth-Remmers

Hi All,

Here is my first wip for the challenge! I'm really just trying to get a feel for the environment and the elements to include.

I hope to hear your thoughts and good luck to all!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg kreola_1_v2.jpg (87.0 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg kreola_2_v2.jpg (92.0 KB, 335 views)

09 September 2013
sorry, trying to submit a higher res, not sure how to without hosting the image somewhere else :\

09 September 2013
Those are both really nice
One looks like it'll be a lot more work than the other
Keep that in mind to make sure you'll have a finished product when the time's up

Originally Posted by Emptyshell: Hi All,

Here is my first wip for the challenge! I'm really just trying to get a feel for the environment and the elements to include.

I hope to hear your thoughts and good luck to all!

09 September 2013
Nice concepts... a lot of great ideas to work with.
Not sure what the element is that's in the far right... foreground.... I can sort of tell it's a piece of science-fiction-type gak... but other than I'm not really sure what it is.

With so much detail at the bottom going down into that chasm below the street it would be great if you could extend the canvas down to get more of that in there.

09 September 2013
thank you both for your replies.

Not sure which one to go with just yet but I will definitely consider the amount of work they each might take, i tend to be over ambitious :\

Yea it is just meant to be some steam punkish fill in for the moment, maybe a boiler of some kind later. I'll look at extending the frame down too for that scene, you're right that it would be cool to see more of the city in valley below.

09 September 2013
I like the first one better, maybe a few tweaks for composition and perspective and you'll get it there, it has so much more potential, always think big !

09 September 2013
I agree with Jamie, the first one is really promising. I'd spend a little more time on the composition for now, try to explore different options with quick black and white studies.
The sky is the limit, have fun!

09 September 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback Jamie and Fabio, hugely appreciated!! I'm a little star struck ...

So I've had a look at the composition, trying to open it up a bit more and increase the 'epicness' without deviating to much from the original brief. I've tried to accommodate an area for the base plate in the foreground of each shot.

Love to hear your thoughts, personally just made myself more confused as to which to go for
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kreola_thumbs_v1.jpg (93.9 KB, 134 views)

09 September 2013
hey Jonah, I think the problem is that the composition (in all versions) drags you towards the distance, but then there's nothing there; So if you could add a subject or more city or something there, all should be fine!

Artstation || Facebook

09 September 2013
Hi jonah, nice work on the b&w studies.
I personally feel the bottom left one is the strongest so far. I like how that big element in the bg helps leading the eye inside the picture. Try to push this idea even further and play with some foreground/ midground elements as well.
There's a nice painting by Dylan Cole that has a somewhat similar feeling. It's an indian environment, with people taking a bath in the river. If you cant find it let me know and i'll try to attach it here. If you look at it you'll notice how your eye probably goes from the foreground element (the people) to that mg building and stops at the big structure in the background. Light and shadows also play an important role.
Keep it up!

09 September 2013
Thank you for the invaluable feedback!

I did find the image you mentioned Fabio, it is a great example! Just how you're pulled seamlessly from the people on the left to the mid city area and then to the citedel in the background ... genius

So just posting the composition I'll likely use, I'm imagining detail in the right corner to catch the eye first, then left to the tower, then right to the background structure. And light coming in from the left!

I'll push on colour and re-integrate the plate next
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kreola_matte.jpg (92.6 KB, 144 views)

09 September 2013
nice flow already, put some detail !! I want to see this already

09 September 2013
Thanks for the encouragement Jaime, much appreciated

Here's another update, just exploring colours, light and design before I get into more detail.

Thoughts always welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kreola_matte_v3_a.jpg (89.4 KB, 156 views)

09 September 2013
Really feeling the ambiance of this place now! I like the warm tones of the sun, matches the description in the extract. Looking forward to seeing more!

09 September 2013
this is my current favorite.I love the direction in which you're going.

Thread Closed share thread