FumeFX

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

02 February 2017
is there any voluminance plugins for 3ds max 2015

is there any voluminance plugins for 3ds Max 2015

04 April 2017
Is it possible to get low resolution draft of smoke in view port in 3ds max? I watched a tutorial on Maya, and the simulation would render in the fumefx output preview, but also the maya windows.. I would like to do the same in 3ds max.

cheers!

04 April 2017
Maya has a nice volume display mode-thanks to the original/native fluid feature. This is missing from Max. FumeFX's native preview window is as good as it gets.

FumeFX on Maya really greatly benefits from this I agree.

Last edited by circusboy : 04 April 2017 at 06:28 PM.

04 April 2017
thanks for reply circusboy, I will have to live with it I guess.

Any tips for getting a shadow on the front side of some smoke when back lighting with a target spot? I have the light shadows on, atmosphere shadows on, and turned on cast/receive shadows in fumefx panel. Tried all shadow types shadow map, area, ray, etc..

My grid size is 100 and spacing set to 0.08. default scanline renderer.

The output looks flat without any depth. Looks like cheese.

Last edited by starcentral : 04 April 2017 at 01:19 PM.

04 April 2017
Try playing with Illumination Parameters.
Here is a tutorial that gives the basics (page 3)
https://www.3dtotal.com/tutorial/18...alal-vfx?page=3

Maybe more than one shadow light can help too-but play with what you got first.

04 April 2017
Thanks I will give that a go.

One thing striking me as odd is that if I add one light source to the scene and set the strength of it to 0, or even a negative value, the smoke in the render still appears as dull flat grey. My thinking is with those settings it should be black, ie. invivislbe and I wonder if this is somehow affecting the look of my final render.

thanks!

04 April 2017
Originally Posted by starcentral: Thanks I will give that a go.

One thing striking me as odd is that if I add one light source to the scene and set the strength of it to 0, or even a negative value, the smoke in the render still appears as dull flat grey. My thinking is with those settings it should be black, ie. invivislbe and I wonder if this is somehow affecting the look of my final render.

thanks!

In Rendering Tab, there is Ambient color which can be changed to pure black (zero additional lightning). With linear workflow gamma it affects too much.

04 April 2017
Thanks everyone for input.

I had a lot more shadow effect on my model emitting smoke by playing with the visual and shadow falloff.. like night and day difference.

Not really a big effect on my overall render, but still puzzling for me is when I turn lights off or set my object not to receive lights I get a very very dark render of the smoke.. it should really invisible in this case. I tried playing with global, ambient light - no luck. no ideas why it happens.

cheers

04 April 2017
Also remember-likely for best results you will have custom lights for your FumeFX. If you are trying to match scene lighting for the rest of the shot-your lights for fume fx may only resemble in position/location. The rest of the settings should be tweaked to make your FX look best with your custom light rig.

Depending on what version of FumeFX you have you may also need to be using AB map or AB Raytraced
lights as your light type for good self shadows. I think 4.2.2 makes this less of an issue.

05 May 2017
wavelet sim steps

hello guys!

is there a possibilty to change wavelet turbulence simulation steps ?

06 June 2017
Fumefx preview and playback from nVME SSD

Hi all,

I havent posted here for a while, good to be back!

Anyway I invested in a new rig Ryzen and, havent been really able to compare it seems nicve though.
One thing I bought was a Samsung evo 960 m2 ssd. The specs were awesome 3600 read 2800 write.
I was hoping using this as a cache drive would speed up previews and general reading of ffx caches.

Well, it doesnt. At all. I could have bothered to check before I bought it in the resource monitor. When max reads the file there is hardly a blip on the graph it jumps to like 120 mb/s for a cache file 1gb in size, and after max just hangs there trying to create/visualiuze the frame in the preview window.

Does anyone know if this is normal? Or could this be improved on? Its the same in GPU and cpu preview mode. I have 1080 vga.

Thanks guys

Last edited by olipoli1 : 06 June 2017 at 10:34 PM.

06 June 2017
wavelet sim steps

Originally Posted by payu: hello guys!

is there a possibilty to change wavelet turbulence simulation steps ?

Hey,

what do you mean exactly? wavelet modifies an existing cache sequence, I think you have to have the desired steps in the base sim and than you can upres that with wavelet.

But I might be wrong.

07 July 2017
Hi guys!
Could someone help me understand the setup of powder explosion like thishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql3fq4QgTCA
I see a sphere at frame 0, is it particles emitted from spherical icon/sphere object? or particles breaking through spherical source?
I can't understand how some particles have small thin trails and some much thicker trails.
Please help!

08 August 2017
Has anyone had issues with effectors and simming on the network? I am getting different results from the local sims and the network it seems the effectors are not working in network version.

reply share thread