Vraymtl looks dull and flat compared to standard?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Vraymtl looks dull and flat compared to standard?

So I had a dirt ground that uses standard blend with standard maps in the blend. I read that vray blend material was faster so I replaced it with a vrayblend material and vraymtl's inside of it. It renders twice as fast, but just doesn't pop like the standard version.

Ive been messing with settings but the vray material just looks desaturated and flat compared to the standard material. Its more apparent in the bigger image but I cannot show it. Notice more light reflects onto the rocks as well.

Any ideas?

07 July 2013
It's the same materials in both blends? Or it's a standard material in the standard blend?

Imho, the vray one looks better. The rocks are getting too much GI on the standard one, but really either way this is a few seconds to fix in post.

Look at how dark the unlit parts of these rocks are: http://lifecruiser.com/bilder/beach...lifecruiser.jpg

I guess I'm just not seeing the pop you're talking about. All I really see is that the standard one has about 10% darker levels for gamma and an overly bright rock. Heck it may just be that your alpha map is getting a gamma correction and changing the transparency levels.

07 July 2013
Yes standard mats in the standard blend and vraymtl in the vray blend.
Yea you have a point about the rock but I did like in standard how I got good contrast between the blended areas. Maybe I will turn on the rest of the scene and do a speed comparison then see what I can do in post, thanks for the input. Not sure about the gamma thing but I will dig around

07 July 2013
The problem is that standard materials don't bounce light correctly in vray as they don't have the energy preservation coded in. (or something like that)

You're really doing yourself a disservice if you're using them. But hey, to each his own.

In terms of gamma, it's just the mid point describing mid tones. Nothing special.

07 July 2013
Yup vray materials will give you much more physical correct result than max's standard materials

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread