3D Portraits Derived From the DNA in Hair and Gum Found in Public Places

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
3D Portraits Derived From the DNA in Hair and Gum Found in Public Places

This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

05 May 2013
Well that's just unsettling

Last edited by ultramedia : 05 May 2013 at 01:03 AM.

05 May 2013
Unsettling? I don't know - I couldn't stop laughing

This was a classic:

"Ancestry gives you most of the generic picture of what someone is going to tend to look like."

Did she just say that 'they all look alike to me'?

Then this:

“I have a list of about 40 or 50 different traits that I have either successfully analyzed or I am in the process of working on right now,”

Compare it to a recent peer-reviewed paper:

"Inter-individual variation in facial shape is one of the most noticeable phenotypes in humans, and it is clearly under genetic regulation; however, almost nothing is known about the genetic basis of normal human facial morphology."

As a statement about how we leave genetic material around her art is interesting, but I would have found it more unsettling if the portraits had been virtually featureless blobs with some demonstrating various diseases, the sorts of things that CAN be determined from genome sequencing.

As an aside, as well as still knowing very little about how the genome affects the way we look, it still costs close to $10,000 to entirely sequence one human genome (http://www.genome.gov/sequencingcosts/). I bet she doesn't spend that sort of money for each portrait.

05 May 2013
If you see it as an art project, then this is mildly interesting. But from a scientific point of view, all those recreations look very generic. Maybe she got the eye color, the gender and the ethnicity right, but that's about it .

All those faces remind me of FaceGen.

05 May 2013
It would be way more interesting if you could see a side by side comparison with the actual person.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by raffo: If you see it as an art project, then this is mildly interesting. But from a scientific point of view, all those recreations look very generic. Maybe she got the eye color, the gender and the ethnicity right, but that's about it .

All those faces remind me of FaceGen.

Yeah, I'm pretty positive it's just Facegen faces. I'm betting she's getting simple things like gender or race and putting it in that way, not going to give details like facial structure though since we haven't gotten that far in DNA.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by darthviper107: Yeah, I'm pretty positive it's just Facegen faces.

She explains exactly how the software was developed, as well as where you can get it.

She also acknowledges in advance all the issues raised so far, as well as some others, and posts some comparisons of real subjects beside her DNA based versions.

05 May 2013
If Police could do this for real Forensic artists would be out of a job.
And a lot more cases would be solved.
Fortunately, or not, they are no where even close to being able to make a match to a persons face through DNA. Race yes, beyond that it's pretty much a guess.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by stoneage:

She explains exactly how the software was developed, as well as where you can get it.

She also acknowledges in advance all the issues raised so far, as well as some others, and posts some comparisons of real subjects beside her DNA based versions.

Do they have an example of one where she was given annonymous DNA and then revealed what the person looked like after her processing?

I'm dubious because even the facial reconstruction done from skulls doesn't do all that great

05 May 2013
A smart marketing tactic, but an obvious b.s in fact.

05 May 2013
surely you guys realize that this is just a joke, no?

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by CB_3D: surely you guys realize that this is just a joke, no?

How is it a joke when she's got 4 shows coming up in art galleries and is doing talks about it? She's a hack and a liar, and she's selling this sequencing as fact.

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread