wireframe render on model

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
wireframe render on model

Hi all,

Using Maya / Mental Ray.

Ok so I've got a wireframe on my model using the contour method which works fine when I want an unsmoothed wireframe render.
However when I go to subdiv smooth preview, hit render, I end up with a render result showing the wireframe much more dense than required, as if I was actually smoothing the model a couple of times.
What I need is a wireframe render of the model in subdiv smooth preview mode.
I hope that makes sense. Basically if you take a default cube, hit 3 on keyboard and show wireframe on shaded mode, thats simply what I want to see in my render using the contour wireframe set up if possible.
Is there something I should be changing in the settings somewhere or is this all I can do using this method, if so can anyone suggest a better wireframe set up. I've heard using a toon shader might be the way to go but i'm not familiar with it and it'll involve me having to create the whole thing for each of my models/scenes.

I'm also rendering the wireframe seperate to shaded render, then comping the two layers as it's quicker for me to create a turntable this way.

Thanks.

01 January 2013
There's no super easy way to do it. Probably the best is to export a UV snapshot, change the color in Photoshop, then apply that as a texture map.

01 January 2013
Hey guys,

I've been after the same thing, and I dug up a thing on google that sort of helped.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...043&postcount=5

I think you can also just make a really big hardware render, desaturate it, and comp it over your render in PS. My GPU doesn't support this though, so I've never tired it.

It would be great if anyone has any other solutions to this.

-AJ

01 January 2013
Nevermind.

Last edited by Psyk0 : 01 January 2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: not a good solution

01 January 2013
I'm not sure using UV snapshots for displaying wireframes is a good method.
Unless I'm wrong the edges would not be shown true to the topology of the model depending on how you've arranged the UVs, plus there would be concaving of lines at the shell borders during smooth preview.
I've never used snapshots to display wireframes but I'm assuming it wouldn't look very clean.
I'm going to explore more methods on this tonight, surely there must be a simple solution that doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to set up.
Seen it before on random model work so there is a way. Will post an update here if I've figured/found it out.

Last edited by NightOwl3D : 01 January 2013 at 06:40 PM.

01 January 2013
I've found that you can cheat the desired wireframe result using the vector render engine.
It involves smoothing the actual model a couple of times and then harden the necessary edges, it's straight forward if you create an edge selection set prior to smoothing your model.
Only problem is that there's no anti-aliasing options in vector settings, I've tried increasing edge detail where possible but makes little to no difference.
The lines tend to look better if you use anything but black, ofcourse having thicker edges also helps.

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread