Transferring weight of the same rig but with a different model

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  3 Weeks Ago
Transferring weight of the same rig but with a different model

I have this model partially finished awaiting for revision. To prevent downtime, I rig the model in hope of transferring it to the approved model.
Now comes the approved model, and when I transfer it (using the weight manager) , it is way off. Perhaps it is because of the point order?

If so, is there a way to solve this? It's quite disheartening to abandon the weighting effort I did in the previous model. :(

I'm using R18 and here is my process on transferring weights:https://www.dropbox.com/s/howqk5eim..._rig.mp4?dl =0
 
  3 Weeks Ago
Hi

You can only transfer the weighting to a model that shares the exact point order otherwise it will fail. If your models are identical in pose, scale right down the vert position then Vamp mite work.
I avoid any workflow that requires me to have to transfer weighting.

Dan
__________________
C4D R18 Studio, MODO 902, Zbrush 4 r7, Unfold3D 9,Marvelous Designer 4, Keyshot 6 pro.
 
  3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Rectro: Hi

You can only transfer the weighting to a model that shares the exact point order otherwise it will fail. If your models are identical in pose, scale right down the vert position then Vamp mite work.
I avoid any workflow that requires me to have to transfer weighting.

Dan

Thank you Dan. I guess I am lost again this time. I tried using VAMP but it does not also work. I mean i transfers weights but it is all wonky.
 
  3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by bentraje: Thank you Dan. I guess I am lost again this time. I tried using VAMP but it does not also work. I mean i transfers weights but it is all wonky.
Vamp may not work so well if your models are not both placed in 0 x of world space, Im not sure if it works that way but in your video it shows two characters side by side?

Dan
__________________
C4D R18 Studio, MODO 902, Zbrush 4 r7, Unfold3D 9,Marvelous Designer 4, Keyshot 6 pro.
 
  3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Rectro: Vamp may not work so well if your models are not both placed in 0 x of world space, Im not sure if it works that way but in your video it shows two characters side by side?

Dan

Nope. When I used VAMP, I had them both at zero. Although there is a bit different of vertex count as I modified the new model. Does vertex count and vertex order still matters in VAMP?

In the transfer selection, I only checked Joint weights. Evaluation Method to Nearest Surface. Transform to Off and Space to Local.

Am I missing something?
 
reply share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.