Transferring weight of the same rig but with a different model

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

3 Weeks Ago
Transferring weight of the same rig but with a different model

I have this model partially finished awaiting for revision. To prevent downtime, I rig the model in hope of transferring it to the approved model.
Now comes the approved model, and when I transfer it (using the weight manager) , it is way off. Perhaps it is because of the point order?

If so, is there a way to solve this? It's quite disheartening to abandon the weighting effort I did in the previous model. :(

I'm using R18 and here is my process on transferring weights:https://www.dropbox.com/s/howqk5eim..._rig.mp4?dl =0

3 Weeks Ago
Hi

You can only transfer the weighting to a model that shares the exact point order otherwise it will fail. If your models are identical in pose, scale right down the vert position then Vamp mite work.
I avoid any workflow that requires me to have to transfer weighting.

Dan

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Rectro: Hi

You can only transfer the weighting to a model that shares the exact point order otherwise it will fail. If your models are identical in pose, scale right down the vert position then Vamp mite work.
I avoid any workflow that requires me to have to transfer weighting.

Dan

Thank you Dan. I guess I am lost again this time. I tried using VAMP but it does not also work. I mean i transfers weights but it is all wonky.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by bentraje: Thank you Dan. I guess I am lost again this time. I tried using VAMP but it does not also work. I mean i transfers weights but it is all wonky.
Vamp may not work so well if your models are not both placed in 0 x of world space, Im not sure if it works that way but in your video it shows two characters side by side?

Dan

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Rectro: Vamp may not work so well if your models are not both placed in 0 x of world space, Im not sure if it works that way but in your video it shows two characters side by side?

Dan

Nope. When I used VAMP, I had them both at zero. Although there is a bit different of vertex count as I modified the new model. Does vertex count and vertex order still matters in VAMP?

In the transfer selection, I only checked Joint weights. Evaluation Method to Nearest Surface. Transform to Off and Space to Local.

Am I missing something?

reply share thread