Request your plugin, what are you missing inside C4D?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  09 September 2017
Request your plugin, what are you missing inside C4D?

Hi C4D users,

We are TheGreatSummit, we make cinema 4d plugins.
And our questions is:
What are you missing inside Cinema 4d at the moment, or what can be improved? You can also look at Maya or other big 3D applications, what do they have that is easier or missing in C4D?

Let us know and maybe we can make a plugin that is doing just that!

Grtz, Chris

The Great Summit || Webpage
 
  09 September 2017
I mostly subdivision poly model in C4D and think the current set of tools are pretty great - but I don't use any other apps, so I don't know what I'm missing (but I'm guessing there must be modeling stuff that would be great)

So - make plugins that add the cool modeling features from other apps.
 
  09 September 2017
Originally Posted by mikeh64: I mostly subdivision poly model in C4D and think the current set of tools are pretty great - but I don't use any other apps, so I don't know what I'm missing (but I'm guessing there must be modeling stuff that would be great)

So - make plugins that add the cool modeling features from other apps.

I'd check out HB modelling Scripts. Does quite a bit. 

I think for me there are two areas where C4D seems to be behind to Maya. Rigging and Character animation. If there are any scripts that maya has that make these processes easier would be welcome. And I know CD tools are kind of in a grey zone as to whether they are gone or if someone else is taking them over due to CD passing. Either way, something more up to date wouldn't hurt. 
 
  09 September 2017
Some ideas :
- a good retargeting tag for mocap. I'd love to see ikinema solver integrated into C4D, like Ikinema Action for Maya or Mobu... I think it's the best on the market. The Autocleaning is wonderful.
- a good FK/IK standard rig like Human IK (maya/motion builder) where you can apply mocap in FK and adjust handles/limbs in IK.
- A better autoweighting algorithm, like mixamo.
- An interior mapping shader would be cool, similar to lightwave's vRoom.
- A DAZ 3D/Genesis importer/autorigger
- A clean and simple PBR (as in Disney's principled shader, with metal/rough) shader frontend that works with standard/physical/prorender, and follows the same metallic/rough workflow like in Substance designer/painter, unity or unreal. Not the reflectance hack.
- A nodal shader like cmNodes for R19 (compatible with PBR workflow) when the simple layers become too cumbersome.
 
  09 September 2017
- A Spreadsheet Object / Effector combination that allows you to use data from a spreadsheet to drive scene data. It would be a huge help for so many mograph related tasks.  
 
  09 September 2017
A good tool to clean up CAD Data,  to remove duplicate polygons, weld verticies  that lays directly under the Surface (and not on the other side of the model.)
__________________
----------------------------
[ Der Automat ] // Animationsinstitut
 
  09 September 2017
Originally Posted by EricM: - A nodal shader like cmNodes for R19 (compatible with PBR workflow) when the simple layers become too cumbersome.
This is the one thing I miss most in C4D. And everey year, my heart breaks a bit more (just kidding).

The other thing are more procedural poly modelling tools, like the bevel-deformer, but for other operations. For example: dynamic projection of a spline onto a surface, which is then used to:
- create depressed / raised lines on the model
- create selections which can then be extruded and so on in a non-destructive manner

And finally: a simple solution for volumetric rendering, i.e. ray marching on a standard 3D texture as well as on openVDB volumes without the need for external render engines, even in poor Prime.

Now some of theese things exist in other plugins, especially external renderers and fluid sim plugins. The problem is: These suites are just too big if you only need theese specific aspects, which would also fit very well into the base package.
 
  09 September 2017
coming from maya, I miss an intuitive UV Editor most.
 
  09 September 2017
As a simpler project, how about a shader that mimics the triplanar mapping system presented here by Pingo van der Brinkloev? My idea is a shader that slots into the various material channels, and automatically sets up the X, Y and Z axes with the correct falloffs. You could then adjust the falloffs to suit, perhaps with a noise function to help blend difficult or complex surfaces.

Further still, I wondered fi you could automatically populate the Normal and Bump channels with the same settings. (Ideally, any changes made to one channel are propagated to the others so the textures always line up.) Is it possible to load a set of bitmaps from a folder with prefixes such as C_texturemap, B_texturemap, N_texturemap – so all you need do is add the shader to the colour channel and the others would automatically be added to the Bump and Normal channels. Loading one texture map would load all three (or more if you added Diffuse, Reflectance, Displacement etc). Anyway, at the very least, a system to quickly set up (and tweak) a triplanar material would be dead useful for objects that are difficult to UV unwrap.
 
  09 September 2017
Originally Posted by christianS: The other thing are more procedural poly modelling tools, like the bevel-deformer, but for other operations. For example: dynamic projection of a spline onto a surface, which is then used to:
- create depressed / raised lines on the model
- create selections which can then be extruded and so on in a non-destructive manner

You may be interested in:

Py-Parametric Tools
Extrudifier
and
CV-Parametric Selection
 
  09 September 2017
Originally Posted by EricM: Some ideas :
- a good retargeting tag for mocap. I'd love to see ikinema solver integrated into C4D, like Ikinema Action for Maya or Mobu... I think it's the best on the market. The Autocleaning is wonderful.
- a good FK/IK standard rig like Human IK (maya/motion builder) where you can apply mocap in FK and adjust handles/limbs in IK.
- A better autoweighting algorithm, like mixamo.
- An interior mapping shader would be cool, similar to lightwave's vRoom.
- A DAZ 3D/Genesis importer/autorigger
- A clean and simple PBR (as in Disney's principled shader, with metal/rough) shader frontend that works with standard/physical/prorender, and follows the same metallic/rough workflow like in Substance designer/painter, unity or unreal. Not the reflectance hack.
- A nodal shader like cmNodes for R19 (compatible with PBR workflow) when the simple layers become too cumbersome.


You have covered  nearly all of my  suggestions

I would add the ability to create basic lipsinc from imported audio.


Also a better cloth(ing) solver so characters can actually move with dynamic clothing
 as DAZ/Poser  figures have been able to do for over a decade





Oh..and since you asked, A ragdoll physics solver  that allows rigs to react with modynamics
objects ,  again ,Like Poser or  Endorphin has had for several years.

 
  09 September 2017
1. Up-to-date modern UV workflow.
2. Substance Painter Bridge.
3. Triplanar mapping
4. Better textures baking (Like at Marmoset Toolbag or Knald).
 
  09 September 2017
Already so many great suggestion, thanks guys! So far making better hard surface modelling tools and beter weighting algorithms is something we going to discuss here.
Keep it up! Its very helpful for us to see what users are missing
 
 
reply share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.