Sketchbook of Monicaitt

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2007
Sketchbook of Monicaitt

Hello. I've been looking around here for a long time and have finally worked the nerve to post a thread of sketches/anatomy studies/3d. I studied art concepts throughout my highschool term but soon after graduating, I stopped drawing as often. I love to paint with oils and still paint from time to time but not as often as I would like. At the moment, I'm working on getting my bachelor's degree in Digital Entertainment and Game Design and trying to better my artistic ablilites.

So with that, here are some things i've been working on.

Photoshop has been a difficult transition at first but with a tablet and some dedication, i've managed to learn prosper within the program.

My Sketchbook

My BlogSpot

Last edited by monicaitt : 05 May 2007 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Inserting image

05 May 2007
More Stuff

Figurative Studies

My Sketchbook

My BlogSpot

Last edited by monicaitt : 05 May 2007 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Rearranging images

05 May 2007

My Sketchbook

My BlogSpot

05 May 2007
Smile

Any critics/comments/complaints/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Everyone here is so amazing, that it's a little intimidating.. but i'm working on it.

max

and zbrush

My Sketchbook

My BlogSpot

05 May 2007
The full body paintings are amazing! Welcome to the forums btw.

05 May 2007
Hi

Quote: I studied art concepts throughout my highschool term

oh dear... why am I 35 already? lol
in my highschool days there was the choice between "language, maths, economics or technical"

sometimes I wish I could do it all over again

You've got a really great thread start here.
Would love to see you do some greyscale studies, focussing a bit on anatomy. I think it could boost your skills in no time.

There are some great forums/threads around here with loads of interesting resources to learn from. Have a look around... enjoy the ride

05 May 2007
Hi...Monica..

GREAT start on your thread,.....I really like the feeling projected in that first one...REALLY NICE MOOD CAPTURED...
LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING MORE OF YOUR WORK, AND THE PROGRESS THAT YOU ARE SURE TO ACHIVE..
TAKE CARE
Glenn

05 May 2007

Womball- Thanks so much. I still have lots to learn though.

NR43- I'll be taking your suggestion of working in greyscale. I can see how not worrying about color choice can take a load off and put more concentration towards lines and shapes. I remember an exercise where we would have to look at an image upside down so that we wouldn't concentrate on the entire figure, but the lines and shapes. Thanks. And btw i'm not fresh out of high school, it's been 5 years now. I hear 35 is the new 23.

SpiritDreamer- Thanks for the kind words. I'll try to post daily maybe scan in from my sketchpad. I bring that everywhere I go and doodle in it most often.

My Sketchbook

My BlogSpot

05 May 2007

Black and White Figure Study

My Sketchbook

My BlogSpot

05 May 2007
Nice thread that you have started here, that kind of dedication, and volume, will continue to get you results very quickly.

I took a stab at a crit of the Zbrush head. I found some of the trouble spots were not there in the max version, but came out in the ZB version (very easy to have happen when you start focusing on feature by feature in ZB instead of the whole). EG: the bit of softness to the eyes is very easy to understand if you do not have spheres to "model to".

My what a bad choice it was for me to put light green text on white... "A bit wider then normal" refers to the width of the nose, it seems to be about an eye and a half, to an eye and .75 wide, and it's normally around an eye wide (which it seems to be in your base mesh).

It's a very solid start here, in the 3d and 2d work. The thing to focus on would be to get a bit more comfortable thinking in terms of the entire sculpt, and not feature by feature.

Last edited by kary : 05 May 2007 at 07:07 PM.

05 May 2007
Thanks so much Kary. I'll look at the model further and take your suggestions into consideration. Though, I do have to say that the Max Model is not the same as the one in Zbrush. The first image was done completely in max and the second was a basic model of a head ( I should have sculpted eyes into it) and brought inot zbrush for sculpting.

My Sketchbook

My BlogSpot

05 May 2007
Okay, Definately not done with this one, but for now, i'll call it quits.
I"m having a horrible time with those feet (Arg!) I should start looking at them in depth to solve this dilemma!

My Sketchbook

My BlogSpot

05 May 2007
Thumbs up

I really liked your paintings
Like NR43 said studing anatomy is very important I noticed that when I started to take drawing and live drawing lessons. Anatomy is very cool to study because one see how everything works underneath the skin .... Its very cool to study anatomy Im really enjoying it.
Keep the good study

06 June 2007
Starting a new piece. Hopefully I'll be able to finish up tonight! So far, about 30mins.

My Sketchbook

My BlogSpot

06 June 2007
Still not done....

My Sketchbook

My BlogSpot

Thread Closed share thread