"Physical Material" transparency ignores IOR

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
"Physical Material" transparency ignores IOR

I'm using Physical Material to make glass, and I want the glass to have chromatic aberration, and since 3ds max still doesn't have any shaders with this feature, I go to do it the way I'm use to, which is render several images with slightly different ior and composite them. I render a second image with the ior changed slightly and when i go to composite it I notice that it's unchanged from the first image. I then experiment with the ior by changing it to wildly different values and they all come out identical! Am I just making some obvious mistake or does Physical Material really only use the ior value for reflection and use some hidden, unchangeable value for refraction? Because if so that is a major flaw.

Before you ask, no, I don't have custom curve selected.

I am using 3ds Max 2018 with Mental Ray 3.14.4.8

02 February 2018
Since you have 2018 you could also test if the same happens with Arnold - if yes, report a bug, if not, it's probably a mental ray translator issue.

EDIT
Did you check with both modes of the Physical Material - Standard and Advanced? It could be that one of the modes doesn't read the IOR value for some reason.

02 February 2018
Well, I just tested it with scanline and arnold and it worked fine with those. Looks like Mental Ray is the culprit.

02 February 2018
If you can switch to Arnold instead of mental ray for the project, Arnold renders chromatic abberation and it should be faster than mental ray.

reply share thread