Gengar

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Gengar

Sculpt:

The rig for the render above:

Rest pose with wireframe:

Smoothed wireframe:

Rig with deform bones showing:

Environment is just a temp HDRI atm, I'll eventually be building a proper moonlit alleyway to go with it. As far as the character itself goes, I need to add some more contrast to the fur color texture (yes, there's a fur texture...see what I mean?). I also need to do the facial rigging and skin the tongue and back spikes. And probably detail the eyes a bit more. I also don't think the structure of the eye lens is right atm, I need to take a look at some drawing of feline eye anatomy on that one. (any suggestions?)

I might also switch to a spline rig for the tail. Was hoping to get away with a simple IK chain because of how short the tail is, but that seems a bit too naive and optimistic now. The simple-IK tail is really awkward to control even with how little range of motion it needs.

Also, I feel like I'm loosing a lot of detail from the sculpt in the eye area. I tried making the fur a bit short and sparse (since I wanted more "skin" detail there) but I don't think that's really there yet.

And any other feedback is always appreciated!

Last edited by jtheninja : 08 August 2013 at 07:39 AM. Reason: forgot sculpt image link

08 August 2013
nah your shader is very too dark.

09 September 2013
Updates:

Character again. Still messing around with the fur brightness. Trying to find a shade that isn't so dark it disappears, but isn't so light it looks hot purple instead of shadow-like.

Additionally, full scene is now modeled enough to show something (silly looking clay gengar also included for reference, pose is not remotely final):

I've included the paper lanterns in this shot, even though I'm debating if I'm actually going to keep them. At first I thought of adding them to make it look like a city street in a Japan (where pokemon is from originally, of course). But when I was building them, I started doubting I knew enough about Japanese vs western city streets to even pull that off. I fear trying it will look like a western city's alleyway with some asian-looking things slapped in it.

09 September 2013
Hey man,

It might help to add some white highlights across the fur so you can see the character. Try flatting your hair out, and make it more oily or shinny.

http://www.useitright.com/useitrigh...er-cornered.jpg

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/00...1_xlarg e.jpeg

-AJ

09 September 2013
Ok, scene is textured (except for the dumpster) and sort-of lit right now. It still looks a bit dark, and the lighting feels a bit flat too, so I'm going to need to brighten it up somehow while not losing too many things in shadow.

Here's the result from a brief layer-comp test:

And the character:

As far as the fur shader goes, I want to make it more translucent (the backlight rim is nowhere near as bright as I wanted it to be). I'm also debating whether or not it needs to brighter or shinier. Thoughts?

09 September 2013
The fur look right. You should just Filllight his face to give him more light

09 September 2013

Getting closer. A few things are still bugging me:

1. The Silph building windows in the background are crap. Looking at stuff like this, I think I need to just redo that section with much smaller windows, and maybe figure out some solution to texturing the windows (no idea what though). http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...er_at_Night.jpg

2. Something about the walls still seems too boring. I don't know if the texture doesn't have enough contrast, or what. Definitely going to try messing with the levels on it at least.

09 September 2013
the scene looks good , need some rim light/fresnel on the fur to help with that really dark shader.

Last edited by p0p0 : 09 September 2013 at 09:35 AM.

09 September 2013

I think I finally got the pose right. I think. I also added a fill light over the top so his head isn't so overly-shadowed. And finally, some "shadow threads" in his other hand. Plus a whole bunch of tiny comp tweaks.

I think this is getting closer to a good finished product, but I'm still not sure about the lighting and brightness. Sometimes I think it's too light, sometimes I think it's too dark. (night shots are hard...)

09 September 2013
Looks really good! I still love Pokemon at the age of 25

What programs did you use for this? New to Cg.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by alvind: Looks really good! I still love Pokemon at the age of 25

What programs did you use for this? New to Cg.

Mostly Blender and Zbrush, plus Photoshop for texturing stuff.

09 September 2013
Blender can render scenes like that?!

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by alvind: Blender can render scenes like that?!

Yes, why wouldn't it?

09 September 2013
Haven't used blender in around 12 years didn't know it came this far

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread