Realtime render preview in Maya?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Realtime render preview in Maya?

Hi,

I currently use modo and I'm just starting to learn Maya. One of the things I really like about modo is the realtime render preview. Does Maya have this capability? If so, would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction to access this feature?

Thanks

03 March 2013
You have ipr in maya. It's a instant preview renderer. But it's probably not as powerfully as other software preview renderers.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by ralphymeijer: You have ipr in maya. It's a instant preview renderer. But it's probably not as powerfully as other software preview renderers.

yes it's definitely not as well integrated

By default maya software&hardware have the standard IPR
mentalray uses iray: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1018119 (it's a little tedious to set up but Hans the boy genius made it a lot easier. Personally I haven't used it)
vray has its RT engine that you enable using the standard IPR button and it works like a charm.
arnold has a nice realtime implementation that is wicked fast, but I 've only seen it in action on softimage so I can't vouch for the maya version.

03 March 2013
use spraytrace! it is an realtimerenderer and shows the exact mr rendering result.

http://www.spraytrace.com/

we use it all the time. iray does only physicaly correct shader, which is different to mr standard renderings.

03 March 2013
Try Caustic Visualizer. Works pretty good.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by TobyL: use spraytrace! it is an realtimerenderer and shows the exact mr rendering result.

http://www.spraytrace.com/

we use it all the time. iray does only physicaly correct shader, which is different to mr standard renderings.

Wish they had a demo/trial version.

03 March 2013
we tested Caustic Visualizer,

its initialising much longer and needs much more memory. and the render result matches not that good to the mental ray rendering.

03 March 2013
I once downloaded a spraytrace trial limited by one cpu thread and 10 scene changes for one session!! Well, on simple studio scenes with not very complex mats, it was bearable. But once you have a more complex scene/shaders and heavy textures and 3d textures and such, it seemed useless to me. Caustics Viz has it's own cards and maybe makes sense if you buy one, but maybe once Iray makes it into maya it will suffice.

Guess Vray and Arnold users would probably not bother with any of the above.

03 March 2013
spraytrace got very good in the last six month. we use it every day in production with scenes larger than 8 Mio. Polys. We are very satisfied.

03 March 2013
I took a look at the spraytrace site, they've got no trial anymore. The one they had was useless anyway so no big loss imo. They also don't have a forum anymore. And all demo videos are simple scenes with sky environments. (Polycount is not that important) The price is less expensive too.

Maybe it's good but all signs point to the opposite.

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread