Grad 2011 - Post Secondary options?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2011
Angry Grad 2011 - Post Secondary options?

I'm graduation this year and haven't really researched any post-secondary options for doing 3d animations AND visual effects for movies and film etc. (I am kicking myself for not looking don't worry). But now I have to ask, what ARE my options. Yeah there are the expensive schools, the ones that people either hate or love, then the local schools that don't really get noticed. I just want something that will get me full of important knowledge and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg and my right....
Anyways, thanks for the help I'm new to this site.
RJ

04 April 2011
Here are some suggestions

In Canada: You have Sheridan and Seneca, both of which I consider the best. You also have VanArts,although that is a one year program, and I am not fond of one year programs.

In US: You have many good options. My favorite is Gnomon. However, while Gnomon is good for teaching 3d computer graphics, it pretty well assumes that you have some good traditional skills.

You have University of Southern California,which has amazing connections and facilities and is half 2d ( with traditional training) and half 3d.

You have both SVA and Pratt,which have MFAs in animation and computer art respectively. These programs can be ok, but they have a lot of meaningless requirements that detract from skills such as a humanities requirements and lots of art history. Thus, you may need to stay an extra semester to get the "good skill " training. I would also recommend that you listen to a number of gnomon videos in addition to the MFA training,which should give you a well rounded background. The problem with both SVA and Pratt, other than what I said above, is that both don't focus a lot on traditional training due to the lack of time and emphasis on the MFA thesis.

You can do another undergrad and get some strong traditional work plus 3d. Some schools waive the humanities requirements. An examples would be Ringling.

Hope this all helps

Last edited by taxguy : 04 April 2011 at 03:34 PM.

04 April 2011
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread