An alternative to vellum paper

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2006
Question An alternative to vellum paper?

Where I live, vellum is an absolute nightmare to get hold of; does anyone know any paper/film alternatives to vellum? (for use with alchohol-based inks)

Last edited by siouxfire : 12 December 2006 at 07:57 PM.

12 December 2006
What are you using it for? That'll help us think up a substitute for vellum.

12 December 2006
I want to use it with alchohol based markers to keep the markers from drying too quickly so I can play around with the ink before it sets. Hope that makes sense.

12 December 2006
What about simply marker paper? They are designed for markers, and since it's alcohol based, you just buy a blender marker (which has no pigment--only alcohol. It also comes in bottles for you to dip a brush in, if I remember correctly), and you'll be able to mess around as much as you want.

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by Lunatique: What about simply marker paper? They are designed for markers, and since it's alcohol based, you just buy a blender marker (which has no pigment--only alcohol. It also comes in bottles for you to dip a brush in, if I remember correctly), and you'll be able to mess around as much as you want.

Thanks, Lunatique. That's what I'm doing at the moment, but the marker paper doesn't dry like vellum which bloats/bleeds nicely. Yes, sorry. I'm moving the goalposts, aren't I?

01 January 2007
Have you tried mylar? I use it for charcoal and its great for blending and spreading material over its surface without it soaking it. I believe its similar to vellum, but unfortunately its probably just as hard to find and just as expensive. I might be wrong though. Id try it out if I were you.

01 January 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread