Merging Scans to create an animatable mesh

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2013   #1
Merging Scans to create an animatable mesh

Hey there,

I have High Res scans of an actor's face and hands, and a lower res body scan. This is because the face and hands will be closer to the camera and most of his body will be covered by a clothing simulation eventually.

So, how do I attach the hands and head to the body without undue warping of the geometry? What is the best way to blend the textures, considering they are colour by vertex?

I get that the process involves normal mapping the detail, retopologising the mesh into edge loops and rigging the mesh, but in what order? What's the best program to use? Please help - I know I'm very out of my depth, but I need to know which direction to start researching first.

Many thanks
Markus

Old 11 November 2013   #2
Does no-one know, or is it all just too basic to warrant an answer? I'm trying to get the vertices to line up on the wrist of the hand and the body scans by slowly graduating between the positions of the overlapped sections. Say the overlap is 100 verts in one and 10 verts in the other. can anything remap the two vert positions so that they seamlessly merge from one to the other? Many Thanks, Markus

Old 11 November 2013   #3
If the scan is slightly "broken" you'll need to put your artistic skills to work, making sure everything blends together as best as possible. If you have access to zbrush 4r6 you could use qremesher for automatic retopo.

Steps:
I would retopo first (keeping more density on the face and hands), unwrap the new mesh, bake the vertex colors / normal maps / AO from the source mesh. Blending of textures will probably require some photoshop clone & heal brush on the retopo's texture.

Tools:.
-Zbrush retopo (or 3d max if i feel like i want to do more manual work)
-3D Max for baking maps and rigging.
-Photoshop & bodypaint

There are many ways to do things, pick what works best for you.

Old 11 November 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread