transforming one character into another

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
transforming one character into another

Hey,

I animated a Character and want him to transform into another one. The second character has the same poly count as the first one , same rig etc. Both are animated with motion clips. The transformation is only for maybe 24 Frames, but both are moving at this time, but doing the same thing, only looking a little bit different. So I tried some different things, but they are all not really working.

First I thought, I just let the first character doing the same moves during the transformation as the second one and then using a morph tag, so that he is getting the shapes of the second character. But apparently it doesn't work. The morph tag is not working properly and my mesh is getting very messy.

Then I thought, ok it is not working with joints, lets try it with point level animation. So I wanted to use a point cache on my characters mesh, but it is getting messy again. So I thought ok, maybe the motion clip is the problem, so I transferred the motion clips into key frame animation and then used a point cache again. But still, the mesh is completely messed up. I even tried it with PLA by hand, but still not working.

So has anyone any idea, how I could do it? Would be great to get some help, as it is a little bit urgent

Thanks a lot

Anna

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Do you know if your characters have the same point order? It's not enough to have the same poly count -- the point order has to be the same in order for morphs and point caches to work properly.

Unless you created the two characters from the same base mesh -- just moving points around to create the differences -- you're going to have a problem.

Old 08 August 2013   #3
I modelled the second character out of the first one. By just moving the points a little bit around. But my point cache is in generally not working on it. Even without the morphs.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
The same Poly count doesn't mean you have the same Point count. It's the point count that matters. If those are the same then you need to look into the point order.

There is a plugin Remap Point Order part of MorphMill that can save your butt.
http://skinprops.com/morphmill.php
When importing Obj's Cinema messed up the PointOrder, Remap was a godsend.

Should help in your situation as well.

Old 08 August 2013   #5
Raaaaa !! thanks Bunk !! remap ID order was something I was desepartly needing for my morphings .. and so I finally was codding it !! ^^
Just tried the demo and it works great .. and with a pretty nice price ! I buy it !

Old 08 August 2013   #6
thanks so much bunk that 's really helpful

Old 08 August 2013   #7
Assuming it's not a point-order issue (I'm surprised it would be if you just moved points around to make the 2nd character), I think a much simpler way to achieve this would be to create a 3rd mesh, add a Morph tag to it and drag the two animated meshes in as Absolute morph targets. Then fiddle with the priority settings on the morph tag (well.. it is C4D.. ) until it updates properly and hide the other two meshes from rendering.
That way you have a very simple way to blend from one animation to the other just by animating the morph target weights.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 08 August 2013   #8
that sounds like a plan, thanks a lot brian, I am definitely going to test it as soon as possible

Old 08 August 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread