Texture Issue

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
Texture Issue

Hi all,
So there's a texture in my scene. It isn't applied to any objects and isn't in the material manager. I've removed unused and duplicate materials and checked every object and their tags. This texture does not exist in the scene, but when I render it shows up as missing and I am prompted to look for it.

The only evidence I have of it being in the file is in under Project info > Textures, where it has a file path. I can relink the texture, but because its being applied to something that isn't there, NETrender refuses to work.

I want this texture gone. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Old 08 August 2012   #2
Maybe a hidden layer with a material?

Have you tried to copy everything into a new scene?

Or you can disable "Show Texture Errors" in the Render Settings/Options. But I don't know if that works with NET Render.

Last edited by spaceac : 08 August 2012 at 08:53 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Having the same issue here. Cannot get rid of a texture that Project Info insists is in use. Even if I delete every texture in the project it shows up. Xref's have been freaking spotty as heck in R14, not sure if they are what's contributing to this issue.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
It's a c4d gotcha that has bitten me more than once: check your orthogonal viewports for any reference images you may have put in the back. most likely it points to a file path no longer accessible.

demafleez.com | twitter

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Maybe there is a copy of that texture in your C4D pref files, which is where it is being read from.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Sometimes this can be a texture in a deactivated channel of a material. Hard to spot.

Old 07 July 2013   #7
I have the same problem, I become a scene from a client, in which one texture is missing.
But there are about 127 materials. I can see which texture is missing with "project info -> textures" . But this doesn´t helps me lot. Because:

- I can replace the texture, but if i don´t won´t to replace it, if I want to delete it, it will not work.
- It is impossible to get info wich material contains this "missing texture". I can´t spent the
the time to search all 127 materials and to locate the missing one

Does anybody knows a solution for this "issue" ?
Or does anybody knows a super plugin for this problem ?
There are not any hidden Layers or something like this. Everything is shown up. I think
I would find the material manually which contains the missing texture, but in 5 years from now And if it´s a deactivated channel, this would be much more complicated to find (there should be a function in this "project info" -> "textures"-menu, where it´s possible to select also the "material" which contains the missing link)

Old 07 July 2013   #8
There is (and has been for many years) a nasty bug in c4d materials that can leave a trail of duplicate and unused shaders scattered in your materials, which you can not see (and therefor can not fix) with any onboard tools.
Without a plugin (such as my smart shader list), you would have no way to even see that the shaders existed. What you are seeing is a typical symtom of that bug.

regards
Paul Everett
cinemaplugins.com

Old 07 July 2013   #9
Ouch.

Old 07 July 2013   #10
Innactive channel in materials
Hidden in layer shaders
viewport background files
mograph shader effectors
relief objects
vectorizer splines
displace deformers
render watermark effect
sketch and toon background settings

Failing that, down the back of the sofa

Old 07 July 2013   #11
Look for custom material channels as well, if you used any.

Old 07 July 2013   #12
Originally Posted by imashination: viewport background files

These caught me a few times

Old 07 July 2013   #13
I found it manually. Took me a while. But as said, it would be great to add such
a feature (maybe also remove the old bug) to be able to see where these lost textures
are hidden. Should be on the "to do schedule" for the next release. imho.

Old 07 July 2013   #14
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread