Noob qns - Maya Grid Display Options

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Noob qns - Maya Grid Display Options

Hi all, I have just started some modelling but I wanted to get this fact right before I screw up some stuff in the middle of the process.

Basically, I am trying to set 1 Maya Unit = 1 Feet, I have changed the settings according to 1 Feet but however in the Grid display options I am somewhat confused by it. I tried to search for online answers but I couldn't get it at all or I simply do not understand what the user have been trying to say. (Pardon my lack of interpreting)

And hence, I do wish for someone to enlighten me if I am right on track.

In the Grid Options, I know what is the length and width, as for the other 2 options - Grids every line and subdivisions.

I set it using the default values and so can I assume that in this Picture is correct? Where my Grids every line is 5 and subdiv is 5?

Thank you for taking your time for this noob qns and looking forward for replies...

Old 05 May 2013   #2
If your units are set to feet then use Create->Measure tools->distance tool - it will tell you exactly where your 1 foot is.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Measure it by making a cube for example of 1x1x1 units = 1x1x1 feet or go to top orthographic view and resize the cube to fit the certain line grid...based on that you will make sure if your grid is in the scale you want.

I have 1unit=1cm set it is the same if you put 1unit=1feet
length and width = 1000 units = 1000cm = 10m (the whole grid)
grid lines every = 100 units = 100cm = 1m (dark gray lines)
subdivisions = 10 = 10cm (light gray lines)

Hope that helps.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Originally Posted by benio33: If your units are set to feet then use Create->Measure tools->distance tool - it will tell you exactly where your 1 foot is.

Hi benio, thank you for getting back to me. I tried using your method before I post this thread, when I tried measuring (as seen in the picture link), instead of getting 1, I am getting the measure value of 5 which is pretty weird and it gets me all confused... and so I am not sure if i am on the right track or not

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Originally Posted by azureFantist: Hi benio, thank you for getting back to me. I tried using your method before I post this thread, when I tried measuring (as seen in the picture link), instead of getting 1, I am getting the measure value of 5 which is pretty weird and it gets me all confused... and so I am not sure if i am on the right track or not

Measure tool gives you the correct distance. In that case there are 5 feet between bold grid lines in your scene.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread